On Camera Speedlite for Sony A7?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by JasonAllison76, Oct 18, 2015.

1. JasonAllison76

JasonAllison76 New to TalkEmount

Oct 12, 2015
    Westchester, NY
    Hi all. Was hoping to get some advice on the most appropriate speedlite for an A7 for product photography. We shoot jewelry in our place for my wife's website, and I used to get good results from my Fuji X-E2 and a cheap off-brand flash that I had to set manually. I'm still using that flash on my A7, but as I'm slowly upgrading my gear, I would like to upgrade my lighting as well.

Don't really use a flash for anything else. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
  2. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    I wouldnt really recommend using an on-camera flash for product photography better to use an off camera flash and a radio trigger. Nissin make a Di700a with Air Commander for just under US$300 which is TTL. A yongnuo 560iii + YN 560TX is only about US$120 but it is manual although you can control the power via the trigger.

My personal preference for small product photography would be to use a constant LED light instead. The product is not going to move so you can have a long shutter speed and constant light gives you WYSIWYG.
    • Like Like x 1