1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

On buying a second camera

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by TonyTurley, Nov 6, 2013.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I have been considering adding another camera to my tool kit. I very much like my 5R, and the ability to use a variety of legacy lenses. It has exceptional low light handling, and I use the articulating screen a lot. The fixed screen alone is one reason I am hesitant to buy an A3000; that, and the repeated assertions in many reviews that the EVF and LCD are bad. Some of you, however, have stated you have no problem with the A3000 EVF or LCD. Perhaps if I can find a used A3000 body cheaply I may give it a try.

Any camera I buy would have to have an EVF - that is the one shortcoming I find in the 5R. Even with the display set for sunny conditions, I often have difficulty using the display screen outdoors. Looking at options, I could just buy the detachable EVF. It is rather expensive, and I am concerned about its durability. I could save my pennies and buy a Nex-6 body. That may be the route I go, because I like the sensor, the focus peaking, the EVF, and the ability to use legacy lenses. Another option I've considered is buying an A57. It does have a lot of features I want, but if my understanding is correct, with the A-mount the use of legacy MF lenses goes out the window. That's a downer. I don't have incredibly deep pockets, so the A7/7R are not a consideration.

Thoughts? I'm not asking for anybody to tell me what to do, but if anyone else has been in a similar situation, and what worked for you.

Tony

PS: I'm still dreaming of a weather-sealed E-mount camera in a small DSLR-like form factor with the innards of a high-end Nex.

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    With the indroduction of the A7/R, prices for used Nex-6/7 have really fall down - epsecially in the US where I've noticed an $100-$150 reduction (unfortunately in Europe prices still remain high)

I AM in a similar situation and what I'm gonna do, since I've set my mind for a Nex-6 or Nex-7, is wait a little longer till the prices for used Nex-6/7 bodies come down more.

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I've used the external EVF on my 5N without issue for 2 years. I am not hard on equipment though. If I'm not taking pics the gear is in the bag so it tends to not get as stressed as some gear might. Having used the external EVF in all its articulated glory I don't think I'd go back to using a fixed viewfinder by choice.

Then again, almost any viewfinder is better than no viewfinder. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I have a 5N with EVF and it is a real joy to use. I skipped the 6 and newer generations happily with my combo, so I suppose I could say the EVF, while expensive, would have been the same amount I lost in depreciation of the 5N if I'd replaced it with a 6 or 7.

However, a poor EVF (and I understand the a3000 has a really low-end one) can substantially spoil the shooting experience. I've shot both the Canon SX50 HS (terrible EVF, hated every minute with it) and the Panasonic FZ200 (average EVF, was ok but still preferred the 5N or even its fully articulating screen) and always went back to my 5N with EVF - the joy wasn't there with the other two, though of course I appreciate what they are made for is different than the 5N. I would definitely try the a3000 in a store before buying at least - but from its resolution it appears to have something akin to the SX50 HS so I wouldn't go anywhere near it myself.

5. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Joel and Jim, thanks for sharing your experiences. Do you find the connection to the 5N to be secure enough for carrying? I carry mine in the woods a lot, and I'm wondering if the EVF is something I'd want to unplug and stow in my bag until I stop to take a photo. Then again, frequent plugging and unplugging may not be a good thing.

Tony

6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    There's a fairly substantial screw that holds the EVF on the camera. I wouldn't carry the camera by the EVF, but as long as you aren't swinging the camera by the EVF it should be fine.

7. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    The danger to the EVF is actually that if the camera is squeezed against the EVF, the lower plate can bend out (it is plastic after all) and you break a tiny catch and then it's all over. I suspect this is what happened to my first EVF after extensively looking through my photos of the damage (thankfully I returned it to Sony and they replaced it no questions asked - at that time honestly could tell them I had no idea how it happened - all I remember was going up Petronas towers in Malaysia and at that time I thought the air pressure change had something to do with it). It seems to be well built enough to take lateral knocks though, and I often leave it on in my bag (which is roomy for the 5N).

8. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Thanks again, guys.

Tony

9. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I pretty much leave the EVF on my 5n all the time. I have reached into the camera bag and tugged on the EVF instead of grabbing the camera on occasion, but have not damaged it yet.

10. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Tony, I have the a3000 and love it so far. The EVF is indeed not up to the standards of the NEX-6 or -7. If you can't find a working a3000 in a store to try out, just try the EVF on the Sony HX300 bridge/megazoom camera, it's equivalent to that on the a3000.

If you like the a3000 at all, Amazon (and B&H for that matter) is having a great "pre-Black Friday sale, selling the a3000 in a bundle with a SEL55210 for just US$500. That amounts to $250 off MSRP for the two combined.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...d_t=201&pf_rd_p=1652049402&pf_rd_i=B00EH5UGR6
    I sooo wish I had waited and picked up this bundle as I am drooling for a telephoto zoom like the 55-210.

Also, although nothing has popped up on SAR lately about this (or anything other than A7/R news), I highly suspect that we will see an a5000 early next year, perhaps in the spring, likely with a better EVF and LCD than that on the a3000. No info to back that up, but it seems to make sense given Sony's apparent direction with the E-mount system.

11. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I thought i was the only one that had done that... :p

• Like Like x 1
  12. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Thanks for the further comments, guys. I am fairly torn right now . . . buy an EVF for the 5R (least expensive option); look for a really good deal on the A3000; wait and see what may come out in the Spring. I've wondered myself if an A5000 was in the works. The deal hawkman mentioned doesn't tempt me, because I use legacy glass exclusively. My hunch is because the A3000 seems to be marketed to P&S shooters looking for an upgrade, it is unlikely to ever be offered body-only. It is really too bad the A57 can't use legacy lenses.

Tony

13. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    At the end of the day, it's a personal decision what suits you best. The obvious downside of the EVF is no flash, but then with the 5's low light prowess and the fact that the EVF is most "necessary" in bright light, I've rarely missed it.

At the present time, there aren't many compelling APS-C bodies with both the 6 and 7 due new bodies that will hopefully be less incremental than the 5T over R, and the A3000 being like a 3N only worse (stuck with a lousy EVF and a bulkier body).

14. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    My opinion probably doesn't matter, but I'd buy a used Nex-6 (since they are cheaper now and prices will fall down even more) instead of the expensive for what it is add-on EVF for the 5R - but that's just me :)

15. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I am thinking that. A3000 is ok for my needs but there are no third party remotes yet, raw therapee doesn't support it and it is too expensive (400 € here in Finland). I am waiting Nex 6 or 7 price drops, used 6 or cheap A3000 body.

16. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Raw Therapee doesn't support A3000 RAW files? That's a bummer. RT is my RAW processor. The more I think about it, the more I am leaning toward looking for a good deal on a Nex-6 body. That would give me a second body as a backup. I had a scare recently where I lost my footing crossing a steep ditch in the woods, and went SPLAT!, with my 5R landing in the dirt. I should have had it in its case, but didn't. It hit on one corner, and once I brushed the mud from it, there was no sign it ever hit. The lens didn't appear to be touched, nor the screen, but it still had my heart fluttering for a few minutes. I haven't noticed any adverse effects to the camera or lens, but the close call reminded me I should have a reliable backup other than my P&S cameras.

Tony

17. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Exactly!!!

Lately I've seen prices for used Nex-6 body somewhere to $500 over there (lucky US people :D ) - the add-on EVF is what? $300 new?

18. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    It is available on Amazon for $240 shipped. Big price drop over the past 6 months or so.

Tony

19. Selten

Selten TalkEmount Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Rhineland, Germany
    Lusi
    Seriously?! It is 274 euros on Amazon here! And on German Ebay some go for 300 :S That is just...!!!