1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

On board mic A6000

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by dragion, Jul 3, 2014.

1. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    I'm wondering how good is the built in mic on the A6000 or any NEX camera?

I was researching about the Sony ECM-XYST1M Stereo Microphone and wondered on how does it compare.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...PLxtNekqr8CFc9j7Aody1cApQ&Q=&is=REG&A=details

The reason for the interest is that I just sold my Sony Handycam camcorder in order to purchase the SELP18105mm as a replacement.
    I don't do much video, but there are times that a special event/occasion will require it.

Has anyone have any knowledge/experience regarding the built in mic and/or the ECM-XYST1M?

Any suggestions or feedback will be appreciated. :)

2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    I haven't done much video yet, but the mic seems pretty decent from what I have done. Nice rounded depth of sound, not really directional of course though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dragion

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    Thanks José for your feedback.
    What I'm more interested in when recording either a group or concert from a distance.

Majority of my videos will be performances from my daughter...either in a medium room setting or in a large auditorium.

4. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    For sure you would be better with a directional mic then so you capture the music and not the crowd noise. Can't really suggest one for the a6000 but at least it goes you a type of mic to aim for!
    The one you suggested certainly looks like it will fit the requirement with it's ability to switch the mic 120 degrees out or point forwards (as you would want them).

• Like Like x 1
  5. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    While not a direct answer to your specific question, posting this as related info in case it’s of any help.
    The built-in on my NEX-7 is not the greatest...picked up way too much side noise / background noise, had no real adjustments to filter out "white noise", etc. In my opinion, for your stated purpose, you’ll get best results with a so called “shotgun mic” which is mostly front directional, has excellent controls, and doesn’t pick up a lot of extraneous side noise.

I ended up going with a RODE VideoMic Pro based on a number of recommendations from others who shoot wildlife videos and couldn’t be more pleased, an outstanding microphone.
    LINK: http://www.rodemic.com/microphones/videomicpro

IN A BLIND I USED TO VIDEO SOME WILD TURKEYS, DEER, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  6. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Problem is the A6000 doesn't have a mic input like the nex7 does.
    This guys has come up with a solution, but it seems to involve the mic the OP was already thinking of buying... http://nexexternalmic.com

• Like Like x 2
  7. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    No external MIC input ?? Good gracious...what was Sony thinking.
    I would have assumed that's a standard feature on top end cameras.
    Another check-mark on my Pros & Cons list supporting my commitment to stay with NEX-7 models.

8. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    I agree, it's a dumb/cheap thing not to include.

9. Rollin

Rollin TalkEmount Regular

Jul 2, 2014
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Quick video shoot/edit with my a6000 on the Fourth. First time shooting video with it and I could not find the wind noise ON setting quickly so not a great audio test, but some of it from when not windy. Pls ignore the video from 2:32 - 3:22 which was shot on a body w/ a lens with no OSS and +/- EV had been changed by accident by my wife and I had to try to save bad exposure in post.

[video=vimeo;99960293]https://vimeo.com/99960293[/video]

10. Rollin

Jul 2, 2014
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Thanks for sharing - interesting option. I know our Sony rep has put the word up the chain it would be great to have at least an audio in adapter through the multi-interface shoe from Sony. I also want headphone jack - maybe if there is ever a NEX-7 replacement . . . . .

11. dragion

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William

Thanks José for an interesting solution.

The purpose for my need is more related to stage performance/singing in a group setting.
    Usually in an auditorium or hall...I won't need to have a direct single mic per the individual.

This is an excellent idea though.

12. dragion

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    I presume this audio is from the built in mic's from the A6000?
    Actually, other from the wind noise it sounds pretty good.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

13. dragion

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    UPDATE:
    I ended up purchasing the Sony ECM-XYST1M off eBay "NEW" for $99.99.
    I had $26.19 in eBay Bucks to be used, so my end cost was only $73.80 shipped.

Delivery package 1 of 1 [COLOR=#4E9703 !important]FAST 'N FREE[/COLOR]

Estimated delivery Wednesday, July 9 - Friday, July 11

Sony ECM-XYST1M Multi Interface Stereo Microphone

Item price
    $99.99

Quantity

Item number

Shipping service
    USPS Priority Mail

Order total

Subtotal$99.99
    Shipping[COLOR=#5BA71B !important]Free[/COLOR]
    Total coupon amount[COLOR=#5BA71B !important]-$26.19[/COLOR]

Total

$73.80

14. Rollin

Jul 2, 2014
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Yes, that was just the built in mic. Be curious how you like the Sony ECM-XYST1M.

• Like Like x 1
  15. dragion

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    Once I get to test it out, I will post my results.
    Since I don't do much video, I can't guarantee how good the quality of the recording sample will be.

I will do a comparison between the built in & the ECM-XYST1M.

16. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    He is just using the single mic as an example, you could plug any mic in you want with the adaptor he is offering...

I think the mic you have bought is for sure the best/neatest/cheapest solution for what you want though. Be interested to see the results :)

• Like Like x 1