Oman Trip

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Noor, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Noor

Noor TalkEmount Regular

Jan 25, 2016
    Noor Arnaout
    These photos were taken at across two trips , the latest just a few weeks back... We camped at 1500m to avoid the scorching summer heat and it was a delightful 22 C up there :)

Our Trusty 2003 Pathfinder with 260,000 Km on the clock !
    30s ISO 2000 , Samyang 12mm F2
    _DSC0153_DxO.
    The road to the Milkyway ! , two exposures 30s and 1 Min @ ISO 2500 , Samyang 12mm F2
    Milkyway Composite.
    Just a bunch of Camels strolling ! Crop from 16-50
    _DSC0139.
    Villagers still living the simple life !! (16-50)
    _DSC0230.

Tiwi Village (SEL24F18) (Old trip)
    _DSC0511.
    HDR of Wadi Shaab (SEL24F18)
    _DSC0505-HDR.

Inside this wadi its a great hike and the scenery is breathtaking , but I cannot take my camera as I wanted to swim in the Wadi(Gorge or valley)

Cheers
    Noor

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    • Like Like x 10
  2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Like those Milky Way shots !

Just beginning to get into that myself...surprised you didn't get serious 'start-trailing' at exposures that long

• Like Like x 1
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Well done

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. Noor

Noor TalkEmount Regular

Jan 25, 2016
    Noor Arnaout
    Thanks !
    I follow the rule of the 600 : maximum exposure without startrailing =600 or (400 for APSC) / focal length

It's a bit subjective but it holds up well for me :)

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Similar here...started out with the '500' rule, and my second trip I went through a testing approach with a couple of 1 second steps on either side of the initial calculation, for each different ISO setting I experimented with, and was able to figure out what gave me pretty decent looking stars with a lens.
    Was trying an Infrared camera both times...next attempts will be with a regular camera.
    Biggest problem I currently have is to find a couple more places out in the country to try, where I'll hopefully have less light pollution.

• Like Like x 1
  6. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Great starry night shots! I can't wait to try this myself, but like roundball, I need to escape the light pollution.
    That water does look inviting. Know how that feels....presently stuck in the desert with 116 F temps. (46 C)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Noor

Noor TalkEmount Regular

Jan 25, 2016
    Noor Arnaout
    Thanks ! Astrophotography has become my favorite gerne :)

Yea the it's a beauty inside but it's a long hike and I really had to swim ...

Guess sometimes you have to pick between photography and enjoying the experience :/ some shots taken by others :

http://www.davidgabis.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Wadi-Oman-Tiwi-085.jpg (David Gabis Photography)

https://curiousforqatar.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/wadi-shab.jpg (curious for Qatar blog)

http://ozawapi.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Beautiful-Wadi-Bani-Khalib-Oman-Ozawapi1.jpg (thoughtful eyes blog)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  8. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    Good shots, bring back nice memories from when I lived there:)

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1