1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

OM, Leica R or Contax wide

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by mattia, Dec 23, 2013.

1. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    Hi guys,

I'm pondering buying some extra alt glass to play around with on the A7r (and maybe the E-M1, though if I'm honest there's enough great native stuff for that and I don't love the focal multiplier effect). I've got a couple of Zeiss (C/Y 35/2.8 and 50/1.4) which I'm curious to compare to the natives (planar and distagon vs. Sonnar), favorites on my 5D, a pair of Leica R lenses (50/2 and 28/2.8). Missing is some more wide angle, and maybe a short telephoto. I have a Yashica non ML 135/2.8 as well but that never really did anything for me. Love the focal length, meh on the glass.

I've got a lead on a few options, was wondering what experiences folks had:
    - a non MC Zuiko 21/3.5 for well below average ebay pricing (275). Can add an 85/2.0 for 250 ir a 100/2.8 for 150. Upside: tiny glass, and I should be able to shift it at minimal loss if I don't like it.

- contax Zeiss distagon 18/4.0. Reviews are decent enough, but it's not one of the most loved Zeiss lenses. Found a copy for around 500 in god condition.

- Leica R angulon R 21/4.0. More expensive than the above, doesn't get crazy good reviews.

I'm hoping Zeiss do a native distagon 21/2.8, preferably native AF, but that'll be a while yet. Anyone with thoughts or experiences on the above?

2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I have the Zuiko 21/3.5 and I think it's very good on the A7, you can find some test pictures here. The price you mention (euros?) is not too bad. Distortion isn't all that bad, but I'm still trying to make a profile (Lightroom/Camera Raw) for it but I'm not successful yet. When I go out with the A7, this lens is in the bag and it also convinces me in real picture taking.

I have no experience with the other lenses.

3. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    OM 21mm is good, but I have to check more on A7R for the extreme corners. MC one might be better from what I read. I don't even know which version mine is. It is a good combo w/ OM 85mm f2 lens. OM lens sizes are hard to beat, but that comes w/ vignetting. Distortion is good compared to moustache distortion that zeiss lenses have.

I saw a sample of c/y 18mm and corners wasn't the best. They recommend the zf/ze version instead which is close to 21mm lens. If you find a used 18mm, it is cheaper then 21mm.

4. f/otographer

f/otographer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    Although I have not shot with any of these lenses I would recommend the CY Distagon. Mainly because I am a big fan of Tomioka made CY glass and it would slot in nicely with your other two CY lenses to make a formidable lens set. That way no matter what lens you mount you will get the similar look in all your photos. There is something to be said for having a matching set of primes in your bag. Its a powerful weapon.

Dont give to much credence to online reviews. You never know who was having what troubles coming to terms with there equipment and maybe just wrote a crappy review because the lens didnt work for them. More often then not people will take more time to complain then praise, so many more negative reviews exist online.

I always try to look at flickr groups for lens examples to see what other photographers are managing to get out of the lens in question. A quick search turned up this for the Contax.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/995287@N21/

What Im seeing in that group is OK. Not the most inspiring photography but the lens seems to perform well for a wide. I would own one if I had the cash. Here is the group of the Zuiko.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/zuiko2135/

Couldnt find one for the Angulon, but the individiual photos I saw were kinda meh. But I didnt spend a ton of time looking to be honest. A lot of this really comes down to subject matter. Im sure they are all good lenses in their way, you probably wont go wrong with any of them. But personally its hard to beat a Zeiss. Especially a Tomioka Zeiss.

5. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    Thanks for the comments guys, appreciate it. In the end, I've decided to add the OM 21/3.5 for cost reasons - found a decent deal on an almost new Voigtlander 35/1.2 II (so that wiped some buget), and I figure the 21/3.5 will at the very least tide me over until Zeiss announces some native options (AF or MF).