1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM 50/1.4

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dixeyk, Jul 15, 2015.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    19708423145_b4a5788441_b.
    I'm ready for my closeup
    by kevin dixey, on Flickr

This is from my Olympus OM 50/1.4. It's not the much desired over 1.1 million S/N but a MC 900K version. This shot was done wide open. It wasn't by choice, the aperture was stuck wide open. I managed to open the lens up and fix it but the result isn't too bad for being shot at 1.4.

Of course it got a bit of PP but mostly it was bumping the contrast and sharpening a bit. Here's the color one...

19079736134_37c16bdfe2_b.
    the fan
    by kevin dixey, on Flickr

• Like Like x 4
  2. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    What's the reason for the higher desirability over the MC sub million version?

3. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    It's hard to say. It's my understanding that the basis of the "over 1.1 million is better" OM 50/1.4 myth was Gary Resse's OM lens tests (originally published on the OM users list).

http://web.archive.org/web/20050208000949/members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm

My experience is that there is a rather large amount of sample variation with OM lenses so I remain skeptical.

4. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Thanks for the link. As I'm still hunting for a Zuiko MC 50 f/1.4.

I'm aware of a physical difference to later 50 f/1.8 models....the version that followed the MC looked the same on the outside, but the front element assembly was glued together and can't be serviced. It saved cost for Olympus for this kit lens. But one is screwed if there are haze and fungus behind the front element.

Hope the f/1.4 didn't take the same path.

5. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I had to go in and fix a stuck aperture on the 50/1.4 this morning and it seemed very serviceable to me (then again I was working on the mount side of it).

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Great little moment.

• Agree Agree x 1