OM 28/3.5

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dixeyk, Nov 17, 2017.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I love this lens. I sold mine a while back in favor of my faster Nikon and Vivitar 28's but I found a really nice one and picked it up (arrives next week). Over the years I've had a lot of 28's and 24's (including the OM 24/2.8 and 28/2.8) and the 28/3.5 is far and away favorite despite being both cheap and "slow".

Here are a few examples (from my Fuji but you'll get the idea). I originally picked it up because it came free with another lens. I eventually tried it because to was so small and was easy to attach to the Fuji and not feel like a spotting scope. What I found is that it's a wonderful lens and I can understand why it is so popular in Japan.

27686873876_5be4b79c72_b.
    unseen
    by kevin dixey, on Flickr

27741540195_ceed108d62_b.
    contagion

27847500523_cb0f5d65ce_b.
    casualty

18797916596_958d6fc10b_b.
    cleared to land TAKE 2

Consider me a fan.

It was the 28/3.5 that led me to discover the 50/1.8, 50/1.4 and 100/2.8 and while they seem to be fine lenses and I liked them well enough none of them made enough of an impression (other than them being small) to make me want them back, but the 28/3.5 has a special place in my kit. Looking forward to getting it on the NEX 7.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  2. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Love that third shot!
    I think this lens is great as well. But I don't really use it for close up compositions. I preferred the OM 28-f/2.8's bokeh more. But mine developed fungus that can't be reached (a problem it seems with OM lenses) and shelved it. Maybe I should use the f/3.5 more from the looks of these photos.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I had a 28/2.8 for a while and thought it was fine (it also goes to f22 where the 24/2.8 and 28/3.5 do not) but I think the 28/3.5 is a bit sharper...at least compared to my copy. I was really pleasantly surprised at how well the 28/3.5 does closeup. I did a short trip for a conference a few years ago and found it to be pretty useable.

4. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Not a fan of selected color but that one is hott!!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    The OM 28/3.5 arrived today and the seller wasn't kidding when they said mint...the darn thing looks like it has never been used. Putting it on the NEX 7 I am reminded of how small OM lenses are. It's pretty much was I expected. It's nice and small, feels nice in the hand and the it's not rainy and dark outside I'll get a few shots with it. I forgot that OM lenses have the aperture ring at the front of the lens. It used to bug me but I can see why folks like it.

It's a nice lens and I think doesn't get the credit it deserves with the OM 24/2.8 getting all the love. I'll take it with me tomorrow and see what I can get with it. Thinking about picking up a 50/1.8 MIJ go to with it if I can find one cheap enough (prices seem to really be going up on OM lenses). I always liked that lens and it's equally tiny.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Yeeesh...talk about pressure o_O.

• Funny Funny x 6
  7. grillec

grillec TalkEmount Regular

Mar 19, 2015
    Over time I've bought 5 Olympus OM primes and 2 zooms. Overall they are very small and deliver sharp results. On the other side they often seems tend to CA, a large minimal focus distance for the 135mm and 200mm and for me jerky and rickety aperture rings. The 100mm/2.0 seems to be a very fine lens but too expensive and rare to find.

The 28mm/3.5 seems to be a decent and compact lens, too, and seems fit to you and your pictures.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Okay then, my first impressions (although not really first impressions as I've had a couple copies of this lens). This is a late version (s/n number above 440K). It's single coated and of the three I've had it falls somewhere in the middle in terms sharpness. That's not really a criticism but just an observation and it's not THAT big a difference.

The image below is wide open (with bounced flash).

26850450329_60eeb499a4_b.
    stop taking my picture

I love the small size. Even with the adapter it is incredibly compact. It's so small that it makes me want to go pick up a few more OM lenses. This one is in the best shape physically of the various Olympus lenses I've had. I swear it looks brand new. My past experience is that Olympus lenses have a fair amount of sample variation and it sure seems like I see a lot of them with fungus.

The minimum focus distance is a bit longer than I remember but it's still decently close. I would imagine that being single coated it's susceptible to flare but living in the PNW I doubt it'll ever be a problem. I've always been on the fence about the aperture ring being located at the front of the lens but it's growing on me. I should think if you were traveling and wanted to go all MF that an OM 21/3.5, 28/3.5 and 50/1.4 would be a nice setup.

Even though I have never had great luck with the OM 24/2.8 I could see it being attractive as an only lens for traveling light. I don't think the 24 is at it's best when shooting at minimum focus distance but good from middle distance to infinity. That said, I prefer 28mm on APS-C so I'd think the 28/3.5 would do equally well.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  9. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    In terms of MFD, it is 25cm for OM 24/2.8, 30cm for OM 28/3.5 and 28/2.8.

Seems you like close focus, you should give Nikon 28mm a try, the AI-S 28/2.8 is excellent at close range with MFD of 20cm, any version of manual focus Nikkor 28/2.0 got a MFD of 25cm.

OM 28/3.5 is very good in distance too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Yep, I have a thing for close focus. I have a Nikon 28/2 AiS and IMHO it’s almost as good as the 28/2.8 close up and better at infinity. I also have the Nikkor N 24/2.8 and Nikkor-O 35/2 which were some of the first Nikon lenses with CRC. I like all of them but if I had to choose I’d go with the 35/2 over the other Nikons...the OM 28/3.5 however is crazy small. I also have a Komine made Vivitar 28/2 Close Focus that’s pretty nice as well.

Out of my various close focus lenses however, the one I like the best is my Minolta MD 35-70/3.5 macro. It’s not small but it certainly is special. It gives my primes a run for their money (in sharpness) from about 40mm and up.

While the OM 24/2.8 can focus a bit closer than the 28/3.5 I found it didn’t do a particularly good job with it. I agree that the 28/3.5 is good at distance as well.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  11. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    The weather is dark and rainy so not much that a 3.5 lens would be much use for. It's nice and small and super fun to shoot with. It doesn't seem have the resolution of my other 28 but that's not too surprising as that's the Nikon 28/2 AiS and a completely different class of lens. Like almost every OM lens I've ever had it has a great feel and on the camera it makes such compact kit that it's easy to like. I think it's actually smaller than my Sigma 19/2.8 (including the adapter).

Now all I need is a nice reasonably sunny day to get out and make some images.