• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Olympus

TonyTurley

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I know some of you have your toes dipped into both m43 and E-mount waters. For a year or so, so did I, but I've made the swap to m43 complete. The last of my E-mount equipment shipped out this morning. Shown below is my like-new Olympus E-M1 with a Pen F 38/1.8 mounted. It is more of a short telephoto on the E-M1, but image rendering is nice. Also shown below is a photo I did for fun on one of our wintery days last year, showing my E-M5 with a Zuiko 4/3 14-54 f/2.8-3.5 Mk II mounted. That lens balances better on the E-M1.

TT

E-M1 & Pen F 38.jpg
   ---            

weather_seal1.jpg
   ---            

tomO2013

TalkEmount Veteran
It's a fantastic camera system - congratulations.
Now start saving for the Nocticron, quite possibly the most enjoyable 85mm or 85mm equiv I've used. Although the Zeiss is up there and technically probably better, there is something magical about the Nocticron ;)

TonyTurley

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
It's a fantastic camera system - congratulations.
Now start saving for the Nocticron, quite possibly the most enjoyable 85mm or 85mm equiv I've used. Although the Zeiss is up there and technically probably better, there is something magical about the Nocticron ;)
LOL . . . that one's not on my radar. I've seen examples of its output, but I'm working on cutting back my lens stock. I've bought far too many lenses in the past. Trying to simplify my pack as much as possible.

TT

TonyTurley

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Tony, good luck with the new direction you're taking. Can't we have a forum for defectors? :)
LOL ... thanks Ad. I've had my new E-M1 only 13 days, and I'm liking it more than any camera I've owned, and I have bought and sold many. The E-M5 is a good camera, too, but the E-M1 even better.

Hawkman

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
I must say that I have been tempted to pick up a used E-M10 or E-P5 just to benefit from the 2X crop factor and IBIS for my long telephoto legacy manual focus lenses. But I'm holding myself back for now from the added expense and will do my best with what I have. And if I was starting all over again now, I might look strongly at a new Olympus OM-D E-M10 II as a nice "entry-level" ILC with 5-axis IBIS, twin control dials up top, and a lot more. Everyone's needs are different, and it is often difficult to truly know your "needs" as a beginner. I love my E-mount stuff and all that I have gotten out of them, but there are certainly a great range of other choices out there.

TonyTurley

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Agreed Steve. There was a time I thought I'd never move away from Sony. Then about 16 months ago I came across a very good deal on a like new E-M5. I'm still using that camera, in addition to my E-M1. I just found that I liked what the m43 platform, and Olympus in particular, had to offer. I'll be surprised if Sony ever offers a camera with both the rugged build and solid weather sealing of an Olympus E-M5/1 or a Pentax camera. For me that is important, because I'm a Winter hiker. But I'm not beating the drum for m43; it just clicks for me. Everyone has their preferences.

TT

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I'm thinking of getting out of M43 myself. The system is great and the lenses are plentiful, but I seem to be gravitating towards my A7 image files more nowadays. I just wish Sony would take advantage of the mirrorless form factor and make some pancake style lenses and a cheaper kit telephoto lens.

pdk42

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Paul
Yes - Olympus gear is very good. The E-M1 gets pretty well everything right. In good light it's not far behind an A7 and the lens range - both in price and quality is hard to argue about. Its one Achilles heel is the relative lack of sensor development. It's a pity that Sony didn't get in on the m43 consortium. With their strength in sensor tech I'm sure the m43 system would have a more healthy future if they were.

Not that I'm thinking of abandoning Olympus any time soon. In fact, whilst I'm immensely enjoying my new A7rii, the uphill struggle and cost to build a lens system for it might well see me scurry back to m43!

Last edited:

Kiwi Paul

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Paul
I have both systems, and enjoy them both, although they are setup differently, I have 4 primes for the Sony and mainly zooms for the m43. I've every intention of keeping both systems and just use whatever I feel like using or whichever is going to be more appropriate for what I'm doing.

Paul

sdsyver

Here to Learn and Enjoy!
Real Name
Shawn
I thankfully no longer have my 75 f1.8 and 25 f1.4 or I'd be looking for a good used EM-1 as well. Really loved that camera. Happy with my A7II and current lenses now. Really love the Batis 25.

mstphoto

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Mike Stephen
I also run both systems.
The E-M1 is possibly one of the best camera I've had the pleasure of using.
Great to hold with its grip
The 12-40 PRO & 7-14 PRO are superb lenses on the E-M1
Hoping to add the 40-150 PRO eventually.
Also bought a 2nd hand E-M10 body to go with my wee lenses, 9-18, 40-150 and 14-42 kit lens.
The m43 system really does punch above its weight ;)

Mike

TonyTurley

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Just when I say "no more lenses", I go and buy a Rokinon 12mm f/2 for my m43 cameras. On my hike this weekend, I found myself wishing a few times that I had a wider perspective. The Rokinon gets a lot of good comments, and its lack of AF is not an issue at all for me. Sample images from it look outstanding. It was also less than 1/2 the cost of the Olympus 12mm f/2.

Ad Dieleman

Amateur
Just when I say "no more lenses", I go and buy a Rokinon 12mm f/2 for my m43 cameras. On my hike this weekend, I found myself wishing a few times that I had a wider perspective. The Rokinon gets a lot of good comments, and its lack of AF is not an issue at all for me. Sample images from it look outstanding. It was also less than 1/2 the cost of the Olympus 12mm f/2.
No more lenses? When does that ever happen? :dash2: Can imagine you don't want to be without that sort of perspective. Congrats!

TonyTurley

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Well now, this is a bummer. Twice this week, Amazon sent me the Rokinon in the wrong lens mount. Instead of m4/3, they sent Fuji X-mount, both times. Maybe it is a sign that I'm supposed to buy a Fuji X-Pro . . . LOL!!

TonyTurley

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
A few frames from my most recent hiking trip in WV's New River Gorge. Where I'm standing is the base of the Hawks Nest Dam near Ansted, WV. The large door with the greenish frame on the left of the first photo is the infamous Hawks Nest Tunnel. Dug in 1935, it diverts 90% of the New River's flow through Gauley Mountain to a hydro plant about 5 miles downstream. It has quite the sordid past. The cliffs and mountains surrounding the New River are composed of silica-rich sandstone. Workers - mostly black men - desperate for work during the Depression dug the Hawks Nest Tunnel by hand, without any sort of protective gear. Many became sick from silicosis within days. There's a lot of lore surrounding the construction of the tunnel, but there are claims that anywhere from 700 - 2,000 men died digging the tunnel, and many were buried on the spot, never to see their families again. It is claimed to be the worst industrial disaster in US history.

The second photo is looking slightly to my right. Hidden high up on that particular cliff is an overlook with a long view both upstream and downstream. The New River Gorge is close to 1,000 feet deep in places. There is no legal way from where I was standing into the main part of Hawks Nest State Park (where you see those cliffs), due to security around the dam. I had to backtrack a little over a mile to my car, then drive 7 miles to where I parked in the town of Ansted at the Mill Creek Trailhead, and walked the rail trail back down into the canyon, along the lake to the dam, and back to my car. Total about 8.7 miles for the day. A lot of great scenery, including the 20' Mill Creek Falls, which is very difficult to reach by foot. There has actually been one fatality at the falls. I made it down to the falls and back, but the footing was sketchy. The photo with the railroad trestle crossing the New River shows the hydro plant seen through the support structure of the bridge. That one and the one with the Redbud and Elm close-up were taken early in the morning under a brooding and quite chilly sky.

The final photo shows the upstream side of Hawks Nest Dam, with the tunnel on the right. Lots of Redbud and Serviceberry blooming around the lake that day. All photos taken with the E-M1 and Zuiko 4/3 14-54 f/2.8-3.5 Mk II.

TT

P1010196.jpg
   ---            

P1010198.jpg
   ---            

MillCreekFalls.jpg
   ---            

P1010185a.jpg
   ---            

P1010187a.jpg
   ---            

P1010216.jpg
   ---            

briloop

TalkEmount Rookie
I wished I had joined this forum months ago to read the OP. I just decided a few days ago to switch from M43 to Sony e-mount. I just put my OM-D E-M1, lenses, and other items up for sale. Today, I pulled the trigger and ordered the Sony A7Rii and the Sony 24-70 f2.8. I didn't sell all of my M43 gear; I kept an Olympus E-P5 and two lenses as a back-up kit.

Ad Dieleman

Amateur
I wished I had joined this forum months ago to read the OP. I just decided a few days ago to switch from M43 to Sony e-mount. I just put my OM-D E-M1, lenses, and other items up for sale. Today, I pulled the trigger and ordered the Sony A7Rii and the Sony 24-70 f2.8. I didn't sell all of my M43 gear; I kept an Olympus E-P5 and two lenses as a back-up kit.
If it's any consolation, @TonyTurley meanwhile switched to Fuji X and an X100 :). I don't think you can go wrong all that much with the Sony gear you bought, apart from the considerable jump in size and weight.

Latest threads

Top Bottom