Olympus

SRHEdD

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
I was Oly before Sony. The A6000 pushed me over the edge and I bailed. Now, over two years later, I just added an E-P5 (my personal favorite) back to my bag. The best answer is always BOTH!
It is sorta like a good Porterhouse steak. Great cuts when separate, but better when combined.

Become a member for free to remove site ads and see EXIF info for images.

Jazzer

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Larry
This somewhat revived thread comes at a good time for me. I have seriously been considering replacing my NEX-6 (which is a backup to my A6000) with an Oly or Panny of some sort, initially for use with a long range zoom, which the Sony world still lacks (FE 70-300 notwithstanding). Any good value suggestions from those who may have ventured into m4/3?

bahamot

New to TalkEmount
m43 Telephoto zoom lenses are PL100-400, P100-300 and O75-300. The PL100-400 is the better one and obviously the more expensive one.

Kiwi Paul

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Paul
I wished I had joined this forum months ago to read the OP. I just decided a few days ago to switch from M43 to Sony e-mount. I just put my OM-D E-M1, lenses, and other items up for sale. Today, I pulled the trigger and ordered the Sony A7Rii and the Sony 24-70 f2.8. I didn't sell all of my M43 gear; I kept an Olympus E-P5 and two lenses as a back-up kit.
I've just sold all my m43 gear in favour of the Sony kit, ot's good gear, I don't think you will regreat it.

Paul

TonyTurley

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If it's any consolation, @TonyTurley meanwhile switched to Fuji X and an X100 :). I don't think you can go wrong all that much with the Sony gear you bought, apart from the considerable jump in size and weight.
LOL! I just came across your post when I was surfing photo forums and landed on TEM. Yep, I've switched. I had the E-M5 for a couple of years, but I flipped the E-M1 pretty quickly. As David W once said, "It's just gear". The MFT IQ was superb in good light, but the switch was birthed when I rented an X100S for a week. Shooting jpg only, I saw colors and shadow detail, even in deeply shaded ravines, that I couldn't duplicate with my MFT cameras. It didn't take me long to sell all of my MFT equipment and purchase the X100. I also have an X-T1, with which I am presently using legacy glass. I won't say I'll never.buy a different brand, but I like what I'm getting with Fuji.

TT
PS: the X-T1 body is actually slightly smaller and lighter than the E-M1 body.

Last edited:

TonyTurley

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Haven't been here in a while. Just wanted to stop in and say hey. I've done a complete 180, selling all of my Fuji gear except the X30, and repurchasing a mint E-M5 and 17mm f/1.8 lens last week. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the X100, X-E1, or X-T1. The XF 18-55mm was clear and sharp, and the 14mm brilliant. I just found I really do prefer smaller cameras and lenses . . . E-M5 small, X30 small. In fact, over the past few months, the 2/3" sensor X30 has gotten about 90% of my work, while my APS-C gear mostly gathered dust. Yes, it gives up some detail in low light conditions, but the lens is sharp as a tack when needed, and OOF rendering is excellent for my tastes. I love the form factor, and it does remind me of the E-M5 in some ways. The X30 is the camera that returned fun to my photography. Over the weekend, my wife and I did a 4+ mile hike on a rail trail along the New River in WV, plus another couple of hours afterward exploring some communities along the river bottom. My small sling bag with the X30, E-M5, and a tiny Olympus 35RC film camera was barely noticeable. I got many pleasing photos. Selling the original E-M5 was a decision I am quite happy to be able to reverse.

I didn't stop there . . . I purged my entire camera and lens collection. Where once there were boxes and shelves full of cameras, lenses, and adapters, there is now empty space except for two film cameras I wanted to keep, one of them a gift from my parents when I was young. I spent several months selling stuff on eBay and Amazon, and what I couldn't sell was boxed up and donated to a local thrift store. No more adapted lenses or heavy pro lenses. Just a lightweight, high quality small kit that's as simple as I can make it. I wanted to declutter my office and my thinking, and I've succeeded.

TT

Hi Tony, so there's no getting you back in here then :), for now at least. I know the cycle of cleaning up and hoarding, so far I don't seem able to stop it, I'm too much of a gearhead. I have two office cabinets under my desk filled with lenses and when I acquire something new, old stuff has to go to make room. There's one thing I seem to be really good at and that is limiting myself to one camera system, I just can't get my head around different systems.

Nexnut

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Ken
Long time no post; still stuck with Sony and Fuji APS-C, no new glass in months and still no FF rig - can't say I'm missing anything.
Good luck with your Oly kit, Tony. I've tried two E-M5 for a couple weeks and liked them a lot.

TonyTurley

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Hi Tony, so there's no getting you back in here then :), for now at least. I know the cycle of cleaning up and hoarding, so far I don't seem able to stop it, I'm too much of a gearhead. I have two office cabinets under my desk filled with lenses and when I acquire something new, old stuff has to go to make room. There's one thing I seem to be really good at and that is limiting myself to one camera system, I just can't get my head around different systems.
Hi Ad. I won't say never, but at this point, I don't see Sony offering anything I want. It took several years and a lot of buying, selling, and some re-buying to arrive where I am now. I've never had a bad camera, just ones that weren't the best fit for me.

Long time no post; still stuck with Sony and Fuji APS-C, no new glass in months and still no FF rig - can't say I'm missing anything.
Good luck with your Oly kit, Tony. I've tried two E-M5 for a couple weeks and liked them a lot.
Thanks Ken. There were some things about Fuji APS-C I liked, but in the end, MFT is a better fit for me . . . as is the little Fuji X30. Did I mention I like that camera a lot? :D

TonyTurley

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Just for fun, here are a couple of images from the E-M5 and 17mm/1.8 taken over the weekend while on a hike with my wife and our dog.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
Howdy Tony! Hey, whatever keeps you happily shooting away is the most important. It's what we do with what we have, not what we have, that matters.
I'd still like to move up to FF next, but in the APS-C camp, Fuji has recently grabbed my attention.

TonyTurley

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Howdy Tony! Hey, whatever keeps you happily shooting away is the most important. It's what we do with what we have, not what we have, that matters.
I'd still like to move up to FF next, but in the APS-C camp, Fuji has recently grabbed my attention.
Hi Will. I agree . . . many people are perfectly content with whatever system they have now, with no desire to change. That is cool, too. Since you mention Fuji APS-C, I will say their glass is excellent, from the 23mm f/2 on the X100(S)(T), to the 14mm WA, and the XF 18-55 is no ordinary kit lens. Sony and Olympus would do well to study the Fuji menu system; it's is the best of any brand I've tried. The X30 uses the same menu structure as their APS-C cameras, and I find it to be intuitive and easy to navigate.

Nexnut

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Ken
. . . as is the little Fuji X30. Did I mention I like that camera a lot? :D
The X10 is my favorite digital camera ever :biggrin:. With few exceptions (Velvia 50, ...) this baby delivers equal or better IQ than what I used to get from my heavy film Nikons back in the day - a true liberation.

Since you mention Fuji APS-C, I will say their glass is excellent, from the 23mm f/2 on the X100(S)(T), to the 14mm WA, and the XF 18-55 is no ordinary kit lens.
It was primarily the great 1855 and the lack of anything comparable for e-mount that lured me into Fujiland and together with the 23/1.4 what still keeps me there - two of my favorite lenses ever.
X-Trans, Fuji's tones and colors for everything else than people are still a major PITA in my book but then I mainly process in B&W anyway.

A casual street portrait with the [email protected]/f4 on the X-Pro1 - can't ask for more from a 'kit lens'

View attachment 23202

Last edited:

sdsyver

Here to Learn and Enjoy!
Real Name
Shawn
I have both systems, and enjoy them both, although they are setup differently, I have 4 primes for the Sony and mainly zooms for the m43. I've every intention of keeping both systems and just use whatever I feel like using or whichever is going to be more appropriate for what I'm doing.

Paul
I'm actually thinking of setting up the very same way you have. I came from the Olympus system and miss it but I have some great primes that I'd like to continue using with the Sony system. Ill likely get the new em1 mII and a couple zooms

Kiwi Paul

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Paul
I'm actually thinking of setting up the very same way you have. I came from the Olympus system and miss it but I have some great primes that I'd like to continue using with the Sony system. Ill likely get the new em1 mII and a couple zooms
Well my comment above didn't come to fruition, I moved to an all Sony setup and have sold all my MFT gear.
I'm actually very happy with my Sony setup and have no regrets moving house.

sdsyver

Here to Learn and Enjoy!
Real Name
Shawn
Well my comment above didn't come to fruition, I moved to an all Sony setup and have sold all my MFT gear.
I'm actually very happy with my Sony setup and have no regrets moving house.
Well there you go.

I'm going to sell my A7 with 24-70 and 70-200 f4 and keep my A7II for use with my prime lenses. It will be mainly used for Northern Lights and portraits.

Then get an EM1 MII with the 12-40 and 40-150 Pro lenses. Perhaps the the Olympus 300f4 when funds allow. I'll use this system for photographing my daughter doing her various sports, hiking and wildlife. The autofocus, weather sealing and extra reach of the smaller sensor win me over for those reasons.

TonyTurley

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Hi everyone. It's been a while since I've popped in. I'm still kicking, still using an Olympus camera, currently a Pen F. I considered picking up an A6500 when I got the Pen F, but I already had a Pen F 38/1.8 film lens with an adapter to fit m4/3, and I didn't want to get back into the old habit of lens hoarding, so I stuck with m4/3. My APS-C use is covered by an old Fuji X-E2 I recently purchased, also with an adapter for the Pen F 38/18. I know it used to be a very popular lens on E-mount APS-C back when all I had were Sony cameras, and I still like how that lens renders. It's the only legacy lens I kept when I did my last gear purge.

Hope everyone is staying well in these crazy times.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
Hi everyone. It's been a while since I've popped in. I'm still kicking, still using an Olympus camera, currently a Pen F. I considered picking up an A6500 when I got the Pen F, but I already had a Pen F 38/1.8 film lens with an adapter to fit m4/3, and I didn't want to get back into the old habit of lens hoarding, so I stuck with m4/3. My APS-C use is covered by an old Fuji X-E2 I recently purchased, also with an adapter for the Pen F 38/18. I know it used to be a very popular lens on E-mount APS-C back when all I had were Sony cameras, and I still like how that lens renders. It's the only legacy lens I kept when I did my last gear purge.

Hope everyone is staying well in these crazy times.
Hi Tony! What matters is just to keep on taking photos! Stay healthy, stay safe!

Latest posts

Top Bottom