Olympus PEN-F - What am I missing?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by fractal, Jan 27, 2016.

1. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Was reading Steve Huff's gushing review on the new Olympus PEN-F. Looks like a very nice instrument if you are a M 4/3 shooter but the price took me back.

$1,200 for the body only? I can get an APS-C sensor A6000 along with the SEL 50mm 1.8 and SEL 35mm 1.8 for the same price. I know the Oly is built better but wow.

Am I missing something here?
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    A nostalgia chromosome. :biggrin:
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    I had shot the Panasonic GX7 for the last about 18 months (give or take) and had some issues with it. I sold it and some m43 gear to fund some more Sony stuff. I had two lenses left, when I heard about the Pen. Was holding my breath, but based on this release, I think I'm out of m43. The bodies are either getting bigger (GX8), lenses going pro (Oly 300mm) or the bodies getting ... I dunno. Gimmicky?? (Pen-F)

Going to try all Sony for a while, though I continue to be a tiny bit frustrated with their lenses. Waiting to see if Canon or Nikon get serious, or I might try one of those EOS AF adapters.

The new Pen convinced me to move on (for now, at least)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 9, 2013
    Bellingham, WA (displaced Canadian)
    I can't ever handle Huff's writing style...

I'm sticking with μ43, but I'm planning on a used E-M1 for my next body. My original E-M5 is still going strong.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Shrinking market = move to higher margin territory (you need to make more profit per camera to counter falling sales). Is a blinged out more-retro-than-Fuji camera the right answer? I actually think it might be. It is obviously a hipster JPEG-oriented camera, and could sell well with that crowd. I doubt the serious enthusiast is going to be the right market for MFT as a whole (aside from birders/wildlife shooters) as FF gets cheaper every day. But it is clearly a serious tilt at Fuji.

P.S. This is the first "retro" camera that I really liked the styling. Unfortunately the frivolous front dial spoiled it (couldn't they have left it unmarked and customizable? it would have been a perfect AF-S/AF-C dial) - everything else looks awesome.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  6. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I think a better deal would be: get the A6000 and an original Olypmus Pen F and plenty of money left over for film and developing.