Olympus PEN-F - What am I missing?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by fractal, Jan 27, 2016.

1. fractal

fractal TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Was reading Steve Huff's gushing review on the new Olympus PEN-F. Looks like a very nice instrument if you are a M 4/3 shooter but the price took me back.

$1,200 for the body only? I can get an APS-C sensor A6000 along with the SEL 50mm 1.8 and SEL 35mm 1.8 for the same price. I know the Oly is built better but wow.

Am I missing something here?

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    A nostalgia chromosome. :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2011
    I had shot the Panasonic GX7 for the last about 18 months (give or take) and had some issues with it. I sold it and some m43 gear to fund some more Sony stuff. I had two lenses left, when I heard about the Pen. Was holding my breath, but based on this release, I think I'm out of m43. The bodies are either getting bigger (GX8), lenses going pro (Oly 300mm) or the bodies getting ... I dunno. Gimmicky?? (Pen-F)

Going to try all Sony for a while, though I continue to be a tiny bit frustrated with their lenses. Waiting to see if Canon or Nikon get serious, or I might try one of those EOS AF adapters.

The new Pen convinced me to move on (for now, at least)

• Like Like x 1
  4. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

I can't ever handle Huff's writing style...

I'm sticking with μ43, but I'm planning on a used E-M1 for my next body. My original E-M5 is still going strong.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Shrinking market = move to higher margin territory (you need to make more profit per camera to counter falling sales). Is a blinged out more-retro-than-Fuji camera the right answer? I actually think it might be. It is obviously a hipster JPEG-oriented camera, and could sell well with that crowd. I doubt the serious enthusiast is going to be the right market for MFT as a whole (aside from birders/wildlife shooters) as FF gets cheaper every day. But it is clearly a serious tilt at Fuji.

P.S. This is the first "retro" camera that I really liked the styling. Unfortunately the frivolous front dial spoiled it (couldn't they have left it unmarked and customizable? it would have been a perfect AF-S/AF-C dial) - everything else looks awesome.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  6. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 4, 2013
    I think a better deal would be: get the A6000 and an original Olypmus Pen F and plenty of money left over for film and developing.