1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus or NEX ?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by kurt1968, Oct 22, 2014.

1. kurt1968

kurt1968 New to TalkEmount

Oct 22, 2014
    Hi, i am looking for a birthday present.Cannot decide between e-pl5 or NEX.
    Oly has great high iso performance.
    i could buy a mint NEX3 with 16mm f2.8 , but i am afraid it would dissapoint at higher iso's.
    NEX5N seems better ,right?
    IS NEX userinterface easy to operate?
    Which NEX camera is perfect for a 18 year old beginner stepping up from p&s , i would buy second hand ,low mileage :)

2. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Well depends on the budget but right now, I would go for a nex-6 used. The Quality you can get for the prices I have seen is outstanding and I cant live without EVF :D

• Like Like x 1
  3. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    As the Olympus is a micro 4/3 sensor vs. an APS-C sensor on the NEX I don't think the ISO performance on the Sony will disappoint.

In fact, DXO has the NEX-3n ISO score at 1067 well above the e-pl5's score of 889.

• Like Like x 2
  4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Well you are asking on an NEX forum, so of course the NEX is the answer:biggrin:

I started out with a 3, and loved it. However later models offer more features, for not that much more on the used market. I personally had the F3, which had a better sensor and features. Later moved onto the 6 for even more.

5. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    go olympus...

6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Interesting... Curious to know on what basis you support your opinion...
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

• Like Like x 2
  7. demiro

demiro TalkEmount Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Kurt1968, do you like to shoot raw and process your photos, or do you want them "ready to use" right out of the camera? Also, what are your longer term plans? How many lenses do you want; primes or zooms; budget?

8. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Good call! Used Nex 6 is awesome value right now.

I would also add, skip the Sony 16mm and go for the Sigma 19mm.

9. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    It depends on what you want out of a camera. The Olympus will have more pleasing colors and better OOC JPEGs, faster AF and a bigger selection of available native lenses but the NEX is an APS-C sensor and despite the Sony made sensor in the Olympus being quite good (and it is) the one in the NEX is better. If your criteria is high ISO then the NEX will be a step up from the Olympus. The NEX UI is good but I would say the Olympus is probably more accessible to a beginner. I did find the Olympus EPL5 to be pretty small in the hand and don't care for it but that's a really personal thing. Everybody likes something different.

Now if you want my personal preference...I would go with a NEX 6 or perhaps a Fuji XA1. The Fuji is around $450 with a decent kit lens, takes great images, has very good low light (perhaps better than the Sony) and would be a good platform to grow with . Also, as much as I like my NEX Fuji is really doing things right with their native lenses. The NEX 6 is also an outstanding choice. It has a terrific EVF, a great sensor and has a very nice control layout.

10. dannat

dannat TalkEmount Regular

Jun 22, 2014
    VIC
    having come from micro four-thirds i can say the Sony sensor will kill u4/3 on low light -for the night time star images i take Sony sensor picks up a lot more, & iso 1600/3200 is good
    if you can get an a5000 cheap id go for that -i also agree with the fuji x-a1/m1..both are great cameras...if she wants to shoot sports -this is the nly reason to go u4/3 with their in body IS & longer faster lens selection available

11. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I agree with shaolin95 and jai. Skip the earlier Nex models (5, 3 etc) and opt for a (used) Nex-6 if you want evf, or a (used) 5N/5R/5T if you don't mind missing the evf

12. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    Either system will do - MFT has the better/more complete lens lineup IMO. I enjoy both MFT and fullframe E mount a lot though. There are some differences in high ISO performance between APS-C and four thirds, obviously, but they're not earth shattering. I would consider an E-M5 or GX7 over the E-PL though. Nicer interfaces and handling, although it's a matter of taste.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount

13. jai

Feb 4, 2013
    There is one problem with micro four thirds that nobody ever seems to mention.

It's four thirds! As in, 4 by 3 aspect ratio. Horrible!

If you crop down to proper 3 by 2 your effective sensor size is even smaller. No, I don't like it.

• Like Like x 3
  14. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I wouldn't pick M43 either but I will say that if what you want to do is wildlife shots the options for some nice legacy glass on the cheap is pretty good. Remember a 300mm lens on m43 acts like a 600mm on FF. Add to that the Olympus bodies use in body image stabilization (so they stabilize legacy lenses) and that's a pretty cool setup.

15. shotupdave

shotupdave TalkEmount Regular

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    Dave
    I own both and use my NEX far more than my olympus.

16. jai

Feb 4, 2013
    One other cool thing about that 2X crop factor, a speed booster actually gives you 2 extra stops of light.

But on balance I think for most people it is worse. If you want 50mm equivalent (without a speed booster) you need to look at wide angle legacy lenses that typically weren't very fast or very cheap.

17. kurt1968

kurt1968 New to TalkEmount

Oct 22, 2014
    re

nex6 i will look for.How is manual focus with old fast adapted lens thru the evf?

18. demiro

demiro TalkEmount Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    The NEX 6 is the best value for that sort of thing. Great EVF.

• Like Like x 1
  19. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    A used nex-6 offers great value for money imho.

• Like Like x 1