1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase Olympus OM Zuiko Shift 35mm 1:2.8

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by addieleman, Mar 13, 2014.

1. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Bought this lens a few days ago and yesterday I got to make some shots to get acquainted with it and also to evaluate its optical qualities. I was positively surprised by its sharpness, compared to this lens my PC-Nikkor 35/2.8 of yesteryear was a piece of cr*p. Distortion is not too obvious, but visible in critical circumstances, especially when shifted. Boring test shots in full-size here. It's the single-coated version, which makes itself known by being fairly sensitive to flare and a touch less contrasty than I'm used to from other Olympus OM Zuiko lenses.

In actual picture taking it's just great to be able to eliminate too much of a foreground by simply shifting up a few mm. I find that more important than being able to catch a tall building, which is the standard example of the use of a shift lens. Only in the first shot the lens is shifted to its maximum 12mm (I think).

i-t9Vx5D2-XL.

i-pgn5TTV-XL.

i-ZphzR6L-XL.

i-PhL8Pqd-XL.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 9
  2. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

I want one!

3. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Vow, very nice. Everything is vertically aligned... Fred Miranda is talking highly of FD 35mm 2.8 TS also. He uses TS lenses for nature shots.

4. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I think that'll be my main use for this lens too, no need to worry about distortion and in nature shots it's more difficult to verticalize later in Lightroom or Photoshop compared to using the level in the camera and shift the lens up or down. I was torn between the Canon and the Olympus, had no way to compare the two directly.

5. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Trying this lens on my NEX-6. Used horizontally, it allows to shift the horizon out of the image. Don't know if I'm going to use it but it's certainly interesting. Moreover, it presents a very good image quality here as well. Just a test shot to show how good it is.

Max. shift of 12mm upwards. Click on the picture to get the full-size version.
    <a href="http://addieleman.smugmug.com/photos/i-SsR8F7w/0/O/i-SsR8F7w.jpg" target="_blank"> i-SsR8F7w-XL. </a>
    NEX-6, Olympus Zuiko Shift 35mm 1:2.8 @ f/8 and 12mm shift up

100 % crop from the upper left. Fairly impressive how it holds up its sharpness when shifted to the extreme, shown on a sensor with essentially the same pixel density as the A7R. It helps that the NEX-6 doesn't show the extremities of the image circle that would be visible on an A7(R).
    i-T3BxxNH-XL.
    NEX-6, Olympus Zuiko Shift 35mm 1:2.8 @ f/8 and 12mm shift up

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4