1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Showcase Olympus OM Zuiko 35mm f/2

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by sesser, May 26, 2016.

1. sesser

sesser TalkEmount Regular

May 21, 2016
    randy
    Didn't see a showcase for this lens so I thought I'd start one. First post on this site, but was active on mu-43... that is, until I got the A7II. So far, really pleased with it and it seems my old OM lenses to better on FF than they do on µ4/3.

And so, in continuing tradition when getting new camera gear, I present the first pictures from the new (to me) A7II... my dogs! :)

27169507382_326555b030_h.
    Lilly by Mr Sesser, on Flickr

26642802644_402f9319a1_h.
    Luna
    by Mr Sesser, on Flickr

• Like Like x 11
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Beautiful dogs!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nice shots-dogs-lens there. At the moment I just have the slower 35mm/f2.8 here and it's the weakest Zuiko in my collection, pretty soft, heavy CA, ...
    Mind posting some more shots from your 35mm Zuiko - something wide open wouldn't be bad. Thanks in advance.

4. sesser

May 21, 2016
    randy
    Yeah, sure. I'll take a few shots. It's definitely softer wide open, but terribly so and one more click and, well, the first photo was at 2.8 and it's pretty sharp. Stay tuned...

5. sesser

May 21, 2016
    randy
    OK, here's a few shots at f2. No changes to the raw files except applying "Camera Standard" profile. Even zeroed out the aggressive sharpening applied by LR on import.

Fullsize JPGs here: Dropbox - zuiko35f2

DSC00112. DSC00113. DSC00115.

• Like Like x 4
  6. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Thanks for providing the full-res samples. It doesn't look bad wide-open, not as bad as I'd have thought from the mixed reviews on this lens.

7. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Great shots and the Zuiko does look to be quite good.

8. sesser

May 21, 2016
    randy
    It's definitely not perfect. There's quite a bit of vignetting and corners are a pretty mushy... not to mention the distortion (which I hadn't noticed until taking these pics). That said, f2 is useable in certain scenarios. I was actually going to sell this lens, not because it's a bad lens... got my eye on a 40/2 in a local shop ;)

9. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    That's my favorite adapted lens because I just love 40mm as a focal length. I never use it at f/2 but at f/2.8 it's already quite good in a fairly large central area and at f/8 it is gorgeous across the frame. Have a look here. I paid serious money for it (€ 300) but never have had regrets.

10. sesser

May 21, 2016
    randy
    I saw those! That's not a terrible price. Local shop has one for $325 US which is just slightly less than you paid. If you look at ebay, a lot of yayhoos are trying to get closer to $500 US for them.

11. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

Thx for the samples, Randy. BTW, I have an RX100 III here for a couple days and it's kind of weird how that little soapbox with its 20MP sensor and fast 24-70mm zoom gives a lot of my old glass and the kit zooms for the NEX a serious run for their money, especially wide open. I can't say I enjoy the shooting experience with that thing too much but the IQ/flexibilty/size ratio is second to none IMO. On top of that this little sucker stands its own against my NEX-7 in low-light.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. sesser

May 21, 2016
    randy
    F2.8
    DSC03612.

• Like Like x 8