1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase Olympus OM Zuiko 35-70 f/3.5-4.5

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by John D., Apr 10, 2014.

1. John D.

John D. TalkEmount Regular

Oct 7, 2013
    I've been trying to find a lens which is small, a short zoom and light - with excellent color, bokeh, and retains the sharpness that the A7r demands. Using that criteria - all my Nikkor glass has fallen way short... For example - my lightest Nikkor Zoom (35-70 f/3.5-4.5) is light, compact and small - BUT - the resolution it offers is horrific - in fact, it is now relegated to being a "body cap" rather then a lens. Yes - it really is that bad...

So - after a lot of research - I think I found the legacy short zoom that lives up to the promise of the A7r. This was shot today (among a BUNCH of test shots) to see how this tiny lens stacks up against my Zeiss lenses. It's an Olympus Zuiko 35-70 f/3.5-4.5 and I bought for a whopping $35 from KEH - and it knocks the socks off all my Nikkor short zoom lenses...

Anyway - below is one of the "test shots". The color is amazing as is the detail... So you can see the detail as well - I'll add a 1:1 below, so you can pixel peep as well... And oh - I have what is "rumored" to be even a better version of this short lens arriving tomorrow (Olympus Zuiko 35-70 f/3.6), so I'll post a shoot out of using fully manual lenses on the A7r for those who might be interested...

DSC02236_sm.jpg

Here is the 1:1 detail.... It's from the window sash area... And this is at ISO 800, so there might be a bit of noise in the 1:1, which you won't see above, given the tremendous downscaling of the original...
    sash.jpg

John

• Like Like x 5
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Well, given the detail on that wood, that's a pretty good torture test. :)

I look forward to seeing if the f/3.6 can beat that.