1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase Olympus OM 85mm f:2.0 on NEX-6

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by -et-, Mar 9, 2013.

1. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    Here are some sample images taken with the Olympus 85mm f:2.0 lens on my NEX-6. The lens actually belongs to a friend and colleague who insisted that I try it on the NEX after I remarked to him that the NEX is the camera that I plan to take whenever I travel by air, and that I am in the process of assembling a "kit" of small, light, lenses to carry with me. He loaned me his Olympus 100mm f:2.8 and his Olympus 85mm f:2.0 because of their small size. The Olympus is the smallest 100mm lens for which he could find data on size - and is definitely smaller than the 100mm lenses from all the other major manufacturers. The 85mm Olympus also appears to be small compared to alternatives.

The images below were shot primarily just to play with the lens, although the two images of my grandson playing at a local "Bounce House" would have been taken with some other lens if I had not had the Olympus on the camera. FWIW, those last two images were shot indoors at f:5.6 without flash at 1/125 second and ISO 3200.

- Tom -

Olympus 85mm-1.

Olympus 85mm-2.

Olympus 85mm-4.

Olympus 85mm-5.

Olympus 85mm-6.

• Like Like x 2
  2. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Nice photos. So which one do you prefer? Are they similar size wise?

3. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    If there is ANY difference in the size, I could not see it. I have a suspicion that they may have made as many of the components common as possible for cost savings. Since the 85mm is a f:2.0 lens and the 100mm is a f:2.8 lens, the basic dimensions would probably have been very close anyway. Both are small for their focal lengths, but the 100mm is more visibly smaller than comparable lenses from other companies.

Preference? I liked them both, but ended up just buying a copy of the 100mm on eBay. I already own a Minolta 28-75mm f:2.8 lens in A-mount that I like very much, plus a Jupiter 9 (Russian Sonnar) 85mm f:2.0 in M-39 mount that is not great but is usable. However, I did not have any reasonably fast lens between those and my A-mount Minolta 135mm f:2.8, so the Olympus 100mm f:2.8 seemed like a better choice. If I win the Lottery, I will probably also get the 85mm Olympus, but otherwise I will just have to be satisfied with the 100mm. ;)

- Tom -

4. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    If anyone is thinking about either of these lenses, my colleague who loaned them to me said that both lenses were produced in two versions. He said that he believes that the two versions are essentially identical optically except that that the later "black nose" version has better coatings and thus has more resistance to flare and slightly better contrast than the earlier "silver nose" version.

The two versions can be distinguished from each other by the "silver" surface at the front edge of the lens barrel, versus a black surface over the entire front of the lens. I used only his "black nose" versions of these lenses, so I do not have any personal experience to confirm or refute his comments.

- Tom -

5. mrlrz

mrlrz TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    14113801634_89735c069f_k.

from the "silver version"

• Like Like x 6
  6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave