Showcase Olympus 35-70 f/3.5-4.5 Zuiko OM

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by John D., Apr 10, 2014.

1. John D.

John D. TalkEmount Regular

Oct 7, 2013
    I've been trying to find a lens which is small, a short zoom and light - with excellent color, bokeh, and retains the sharpness that the A7r demands. Using that criteria - all my Nikkor glass has fallen way short... For example - my lightest Nikkor Zoom (35-70 f/3.5-4.5) is light, compact and small - BUT - the resolution it offers is horrific - in fact, it is now relegated to being a "body cap" rather then a lens. Yes - it really is that bad...

So - after a lot of research - I think I found the legacy short zoom that lives up to the promise of the A7r. This was shot today (among a BUNCH of test shots) to see how this tiny lens stacks up against my Zeiss lenses. It's an Olympus Zuiko 35-70 f/3.5-4.5 and I bought for a whopping $35 from KEH - and it knocks the socks off all my Nikkor short zoom lenses...

Anyway - below is one of the "test shots". The color is amazing as is the detail... So you can see the detail as well - I'll add a 1:1 below, so you can pixel peep as well... And oh - I have what is "rumored" to be even a better version of this short lens arriving tomorrow (Olympus Zuiko 35-70 f/3.6), so I'll post a shoot out of using fully manual lenses on the A7r for those who might be interested...

DSC02236_sm.

Here is the 1:1 detail.... It's from the window sash area... And this is at ISO 800, so there might be a bit of noise in the 1:1, which you won't see above, given the tremendous downscaling of the original...
    sash.

John

• Like Like x 5
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Well, given the detail on that wood, that's a pretty good torture test. :)

I look forward to seeing if the f/3.6 can beat that.