• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Showcase Olympus 24mm f/2.8 OM

Nexnut

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Ken
Great pics, All. Nexnut, that last one is a real stunner. I am very interested to see these OM shots, as I nearly bought one a couple of days ago. I am considering the Canon FD 24mm as an alternative.
Thanks, Clive. I've had the 24mm SSC for a while, an 24/2.8 Nikkor for decades. Both of them were fine copies and work(ed) great on the NEXes but I prefer the rendering and the size of the Zuiko - just a personal thing. (I also had 2 copies of the SEL24f18z but it's a bit on the large side, especially with the hood and both copies suffered from CA.)

Ken....WOW
Thanks, amigo ;).

My issue with the OMs was lack of contrast (at least the ones I tried) but this one seems quite contrasty. JPG or RAW and did you do any post?
This copy is surprisingly contrasty, even wide open. There's a bit of coma at f2.8, but nothing like what you'd see on e.g. the older 50s. OTOH there's not much CA to worry about but it doesn't exactly shine in the microcontrast department. The image is from a RAW conversion as usual, I tweaked the one-quarter tones, slightly burned the leaves in the background and slightly sharpened the 1600px web version.

Nexnut

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Ken
DSC00209-LR-1k6q7.jpg
   ---            

One more from the sticks @f2.8, focus on the tree stem. (RAW > EV+0,3 > resize & slight sharpening). I like this lens quite a bit.

Nexnut

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Ken
1600px center crop @f2.8, focus on the window (RAW > no peepee > crop > slight sharpening). There's a bit of softness/coma/glow that completely disappears once stopped down, but I really dig this look @f2.8.
Lack of contrast? Not on this copy (but my first one - same 'Auto-W' version). I paid 128€ - no regrets :).

DSC00213-LR-center.jpg
   ---            

MAubrey

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
My issue with the OMs was lack of contrast (at least the ones I tried) but this one seems quite contrasty. JPG or RAW and did you do any post?
Maybe the OM's you've used have been single coated? The switch to multicoating for OM lenses was at the very beginning of the 1980's. For example, all the OM lenses with the silver ring on the front are single coated.

Nexnut

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Ken
Straight from the messy table department, just for the files. Again, f2.8, RAW (ISO1250), no PP, resize and slight sharpening. I wish my 35mm/f2.8 Zuiko would play in the same league but nope.

DSC00215-LR-1k6q7.jpg
   ---            

Nexnut

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Ken
Another test shot with the Zuiko - nice colors and contrast (even wide open), no distortion to speak of, sharp as a tack from corner to corner (on APS-C). The only major drawback I've seen so far are flares if you shoot straight into bright light sources.

DSC00503-LR-mad-1k6.jpg
   ---            

sesser

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
randy

sesser

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
randy
15476567827_9ddb89e338_b.jpg
   ---            
It's been a while since I've been up there, but I recognized this almost immediately... Gasworks Park, yeah? :)

darrellc

TalkEmount Rookie
It's been a while since I've been up there, but I recognized this almost immediately... Gasworks Park, yeah? :)

Yep! Don't have my OM 24/2.8 anymore after getting the Batis 25, but the OM was a really great lens and a lot of keepers came from that lens. I only kept the OM 50/2 out of all my OM glass, but the 24/2.8 would be no. 2 out of all of them.

Last edited:

sesser

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
randy
Still enjoy this when I use it. Even wide open...
DSC02717.jpg
   ---            

sesser

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
randy
5 shot 1ev bracketed HDR. Shot at f8 I think
DSC03237-HDR.jpg
   ---            

Latest threads

Top Bottom