Showcase Olympus 24mm f/2.8 OM

MAubrey

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
Here we go with this lens. This is a semi-late copy of the "new" multi-coated version of this lens from 1989. I've been searching, but I have not yet seen a copy of this lens made later than the 1980's (unlike other lenses, which I've found copies online at recent as 2001).

Now, I can't compete with @Amin Sabet and his superb review, but I hope some of these show what a decent copy of this lens can do on an A7!

Blue Bike
by Mike Aubrey, on Flickr

Fence

Rocking Chair

Yellow

View attachment 62274
Pensive by Mike Aubrey, on Flickr

Last edited:

fractal

Super Moderator
Real Name
Chris
Become a member for free to remove site ads and see EXIF info for images.

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I have had three of these lenses and none of them was particularly good. I have seen some wonderful images from the OM 24/2.8 but so far that's not something I have experienced.

MAubrey

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have had three of these lenses and none of them was particularly good. I have seen some wonderful images from the OM 24/2.8 but so far that's not something I have experienced.
QC seems to have definitely been an issue with this lens. Across the web some sing its praises and some complain of its flaws.

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
QC seems to have definitely been an issue with this lens. Across the web some sing its praises and some complain of its flaws.
Okay first off I live in Bellingham as well (talk about coincidence) and I have always found OM lenses to be all over the place with regards too ample variation. If you get a goodie they are very good but if not...

darrellc

TalkEmount Rookie
I just sold one over on FM today. It was a good copy. I tested against a Nikon 24/2.8 AiS and the OM bettered it on every measure pretty much. Sharp edge to edge by 5.6 while the Nikon needed f8 or 11 and surprisingly contrasty relative to all the other OM lenses I've owned. I liked the OM 24 and OM 50/3.5 Macro best out of all of them (I'm keeping the 50). Only sold because I bought a Batis 25...

Here are a few shots on the A7s

DSC01905 by DarrellC, on Flickr

DSC03459 by DarrellC, on Flickr

Last edited:

MAubrey

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Okay first off I live in Bellingham as well (talk about coincidence)
I just moved to Bellingham in October. I move a lot--been in Chicago for the past two years, lived up in Vancouver for five years before that. It's nice to be back by the coastal mountains again.

I have always found OM lenses to be all over the place with regards too ample variation. If you get a goodie they are very good but if not...
I've always heard that to be the case, though the three OM lenses I have are all quite good--24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/2 Macro, & 35-70mm f/4. I suppose I've just had decent luck with the draw.

I just moved to Bellingham in October. I move a lot--been in Chicago for the past two years, lived up in Vancouver for five years before that. It's nice to be back by the coastal mountains again.

I've always heard that to be the case, though the three OM lenses I have are all quite good--24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/2 Macro, & 35-70mm f/4. I suppose I've just had decent luck with the draw.
I've been lucky with Olympus lenses (OM Zuiko 24/2.8, 28/3.5, 35-70/4, 40/2, 75-150/4), up to a point where I take only the 40/2 when I want to travel light. However, I've had two samples of the universally praised 21mm 1:3.5 and sold them both because of inadequate corner sharpness; one of them was decentered enough to be bothersome as well.

Nexnut

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Ken
Just for the files, here's a 100% crop of the center at the min. foc. distance @f2.8 [RAW]. Much better than my other copy.

Last edited:

chrid

Super Noob
Real Name
Chris
I really need to give this lens another go. The version I have isn't multi coated but it is razor sharp, just that maybe I love my yashica af 28 2.8 too much heh. I did think about selling my copy but I kept it for my om10 bodies. great shots in this thread keep them coming ;)

Stars by Chris Thackray, on Flickr
Sorry if I've already shared this previously but I cant recall, not suited to astro due to coma but I still like this shot with the shooting star.

Nexnut

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Ken
I really like my newer copy. It's my favorite solution for those 35mm FOV needs on the NEX, actually the lens/adapter combo is smaller than the SEL24f18Z without the hood.
Re. the Yashica 28/2.8, I have the 28/2.8 Zeiss for C/Y but haven't shot it in a while. Still thinking about getting the SEL28f2, even though I have my low-light needs covered with the Fuji and some f1.4 lenses.

I really need to give this lens another go. The version I have isn't multi coated but it is razor sharp, just that maybe I love my yashica af 28 2.8 too much heh. I did think about selling my copy but I kept it for my om10 bodies. great shots in this thread keep them coming ;)

Stars by Chris Thackray, on Flickr
Sorry if I've already shared this previously but I cant recall, not suited to astro due to coma but I still like this shot with the shooting star.

chrid

Super Noob
Real Name
Chris
Re. the Yashica 28/2.8, I have the 28/2.8 Zeiss for C/Y but haven't shot it in a while.
I've read that Yashica made some of the lenses for Zeiss on the c/y mount and that they sort of borrowed some Zeiss designs etc for their af lenses. I don't know how true this is but two of my Yashica af lenses are pretty amazing and blow me away with what they can do.

Nexnut

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Ken
I've read that Yashica made some of the lenses for Zeiss on the c/y mount and that they sort of borrowed some Zeiss designs etc for their af lenses. I don't know how true this is but two of my Yashica af lenses are pretty amazing and blow me away with what they can do.
I still have a Yashica fifty somewhere and I agree that they've built some amazing glass. From what I've learned most of the Zeiss branded glass for C/Y and probably other mounts (Rollei QBM) has been produced in the same factory (Tomioka) anyway. I've never owned a Yashica or Contax camera though, back then I only had some Zeiss glass for my Rollei 3003 and the 'Blad.

Nexnut

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Ken

One more fresh from the garden - @f2.8 - can't complain :)

Andromeda143

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Clive Dickinson
Great pics, All. Nexnut, that last one is a real stunner. I am very interested to see these OM shots, as I nearly bought one a couple of days ago. I am considering the Canon FD 24mm as an alternative.

Latest posts

Top Bottom