Showcase Olympus 16mm f/3.5 on Sony A7R

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by John D., May 22, 2014.

1. John D.

John D. TalkEmount Regular

Oct 7, 2013
    As a few of you know - I'm a commercial Real Estate photographer and an Olympus - Zuiko "addict".. ;)

I purchased a vintage Olympus Zuiko 16mm f/3.5 for short money recently on "fleabay". Frankly - I almost sent it back, as the fungus was not disclosed - and the optics were a mess.. But - I figured, I'd give it a try - and purchased some lens "wrenches" from Amazon and a bunch of jewelers screwdrivers to see if I could salvage this lens on my A7R.

Eight hours later?? The lens was back together (NOT for the feint of heart!) - and here are some test shots in my sunroom (sorry for the mess ;) ). About this lens....

It offers a fisheye at 16mm (180 degree view..!!! ) - and the distortion is "something else" if you are looking for an aspherical lens - this is NOT the one!! BUT - you can correct it to be a superior aspherical lens using DxO Optics Pro.. And the colors and contrast for shooting wide interiors? Absolutely amazing... Want to see..??

Here we go....

The ORIGINAL - out of the camera:

16mm_1.jpg

After DxO Optics Pro - with a preset I made:
    16mm_2.jpg

A crop to bring the view back to "reality" and post processing in Lightroom:
    16mm_3.jpg

The Olympus 16mm fisheye?

A stunning lens in every regard..

- John

• Like Like x 8
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I see nothing to complain about.

A fisheye is probably the last lens I would think of for this kind of work, but if you seem to be able to correct it well enough

• Like Like x 1
  3. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Nice work! Looks like you pulled that lens back from the brink. :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. John D.

Oct 7, 2013
    My thanks, Eric.!.!..

This was the first shot I took with this lens - BEFORE restoring it.. The rear element group (there are two lenses in that group) were a mess - and fungus was on both - and between the two - and on the front end of the inner-most element.. The third lens element also had some creeping fungus - which was easy to reach after disassembling the lens and removing the rear element(s).. I'm lucky as the fungus hadn't etched the glass - which, when doing some research, can happen apparently? I don't know if that is true, but - I suspect it can if left long enough?

Anyway - here was the original image quality from this same lens - taken in the late afternoon (and it was a sunny day!) just after it arrived from the "fLeaBay" seller.. Imagine my anger??! ;)

_DSC3030.jpg

- John

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Wow!

6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Nice results, nice place and I spot quite a lens collection on that desk :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    I have a couple of lens's that need cleaning, how much do you charge? :bravo-009:

• Like Like x 1
  8. John D.

Oct 7, 2013
    ;) You "pixel peeper" ;) Honestly - those are some of my Olympus Zuiko vintage lenses - which, I'll try to post images from each at some point? I also have a very large collection of lenses from over 35 years of shooting Nikons - of Nikkor lenses. Anyway - many thanks for your post..!!!

Hi my friend! I had to "work up the nerve" to crack open my own lens - much less have the experience to work on someone elses??!! But - many thanks for the "vote of confidence"!!!

My best - and my thanks! - to all..!

- John

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.