Showcase Olympus 16mm f/3.5 on Sony A7R

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by John D., May 22, 2014.

1. John D.

John D. TalkEmount Regular

Oct 7, 2013
    As a few of you know - I'm a commercial Real Estate photographer and an Olympus - Zuiko "addict".. ;)

I purchased a vintage Olympus Zuiko 16mm f/3.5 for short money recently on "fleabay". Frankly - I almost sent it back, as the fungus was not disclosed - and the optics were a mess.. But - I figured, I'd give it a try - and purchased some lens "wrenches" from Amazon and a bunch of jewelers screwdrivers to see if I could salvage this lens on my A7R.

Eight hours later?? The lens was back together (NOT for the feint of heart!) - and here are some test shots in my sunroom (sorry for the mess ;) ). About this lens....

It offers a fisheye at 16mm (180 degree view..!!! ) - and the distortion is "something else" if you are looking for an aspherical lens - this is NOT the one!! BUT - you can correct it to be a superior aspherical lens using DxO Optics Pro.. And the colors and contrast for shooting wide interiors? Absolutely amazing... Want to see..??

Here we go....

The ORIGINAL - out of the camera:

After DxO Optics Pro - with a preset I made:

A crop to bring the view back to "reality" and post processing in Lightroom:

The Olympus 16mm fisheye?

A stunning lens in every regard..

- John
    • Like Like x 8
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    I see nothing to complain about.

A fisheye is probably the last lens I would think of for this kind of work, but if you seem to be able to correct it well enough
    • Like Like x 1
  3. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Nice work! Looks like you pulled that lens back from the brink. :D
    • Like Like x 1
  4. John D.

Oct 7, 2013
    My thanks, Eric.!.!..

This was the first shot I took with this lens - BEFORE restoring it.. The rear element group (there are two lenses in that group) were a mess - and fungus was on both - and between the two - and on the front end of the inner-most element.. The third lens element also had some creeping fungus - which was easy to reach after disassembling the lens and removing the rear element(s).. I'm lucky as the fungus hadn't etched the glass - which, when doing some research, can happen apparently? I don't know if that is true, but - I suspect it can if left long enough?

Anyway - here was the original image quality from this same lens - taken in the late afternoon (and it was a sunny day!) just after it arrived from the "fLeaBay" seller.. Imagine my anger??! ;)

- John
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
  6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Nice results, nice place and I spot quite a lens collection on that desk :D
    • Like Like x 1
  7. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    I have a couple of lens's that need cleaning, how much do you charge? :bravo-009:
    • Like Like x 1
  8. John D.

Oct 7, 2013
    ;) You "pixel peeper" ;) Honestly - those are some of my Olympus Zuiko vintage lenses - which, I'll try to post images from each at some point? I also have a very large collection of lenses from over 35 years of shooting Nikons - of Nikkor lenses. Anyway - many thanks for your post..!!!

Hi my friend! I had to "work up the nerve" to crack open my own lens - much less have the experience to work on someone elses??!! But - many thanks for the "vote of confidence"!!!

My best - and my thanks! - to all..!

- John
    • Like Like x 1