1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Old School Mercedes

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by VaughnA, Feb 24, 2013.

1. VaughnA

VaughnA TalkEmount Regular

Jan 24, 2013
    I was out shooting today on my "Old School Challenge". I'm spending the month shooting only in Monochrome mode and primes with no PP allowed with my recently acquired Nex7 I've got many super sharp shots but this one just had the look of an old shot right out of the camera.

Sometimes harsh actually helps IMHO.. it did in this case.
    mercedes.

2. loonsailor

loonsailor TalkEmount Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Berkeley, CA, USA
    "No PP" is exactly the opposite of "old school". After all, an "old school" photo with no post-processing consisted of a small piece of silver-coated celluloid with no image on it. Not much fun. We often used to spend far more time in the darkroom than it took to snap the photo. Cropping, dodging and burning, contrast control, and all the other decisions inherent in printing a photo were an integral part of the process, and just part of the fun. I love that I can now do those things on my computer, and much more, faster, more effectively, and non-toxicly. I loved darkroom work, but I never want to do it again because digital is sooooo much cooler.

But, I do like the idea of giving yourself assignments. Just not sure that "old school" is the right title for this one.

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of people that shot film have never seen the inside of a darkroom (me included). In that larger sense, "no PP" is old school. Take the shot, send it to the processor (computer), get back a print or slide (view on computer, print if desired). No muss, no fuss. :)

4. RalllyFan

RalllyFan TalkEmount Regular

Dec 2, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Tom
    Shot? Past tense? :) I do still shoot, and develop, but no darkroom. As long as it takes to scan a roll of film, it would probably take me more than twice as long to print half a roll.

We can probably make everyone happy and call it the 'new old school'.

More importantly, it sounds like a cool assignment VaughnA. The shot certainly has a vintage, softish feel to it, what lens did you use?

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Film? I have some film. Somewhere. I even have cameras that use it. Not sure where they are either. They're probably together. Wherever they are. ;)

6. RalllyFan

RalllyFan TalkEmount Regular

Dec 2, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Tom
    I don't suppose one of those cameras will marry with this lovely Spiratone lens/doorstop I have kicking around? :cool:

7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Actually they would, but it would cost ya more than the doorstop did. ;)

8. VaughnA

VaughnA TalkEmount Regular

Jan 24, 2013
    Believe me I know all about "old school". I spent hours in my darkroom in the 70's and 80's. My intent was to not do any post processing and go right out of camera with the monochrome setting so that I couldn't add contrast or sharpness and had to go on the qualities of the image, not the processing. I allowed myself to adjust exposure, dodge, burn and crop, the basics in the darkroom.

The discussion of post processing,vs in-camera effects,vs out of camera can be interpreted many ways. We could sit here for hours definining that term. To me old school is having only the abilities of the old darkroom. No hdr, tonal contrast, NIK filters, photoshop etc. And I even understand that you could 'photoshop' and add masks or other tools in the darkroom. Maybe half of my photos for the month were cropped and maybe 10% had changes to exposure etc.

Here's my favorite of the month.

James McMurtry, my favorite performer in concert. Nex7 and MD 50 1.4

[​IMG]