1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Old NEX5 Firmware version 05

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by mojorising, Jul 31, 2013.

1. mojorising

mojorising New to TalkEmount

Jul 31, 2013
    New owner of old NEX5 here.

I want to upgrade the firmware from 02 to new version that allows custom buttons. The only version available from Sony is 05. I saw a guy on youtube saying 05 ruined the colour saturation on the camera.

Is this true?

Can other FW versions be obtained from anywhere if so?

[video=youtube;L-UKNCaRLJM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-UKNCaRLJM[/video]

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I use a NEX-5 with FW 5 for years now and still love it (although I miss a couple more buttons and an EVF, but I guess Sony can't do this with a firmware update, right?). Also, I think FW5 introduced focus peaking, among other features.

Also, the guy states "The images are dull and flat looking, have reddish skin tones, burned out highlights, and an overall cyan caste." without giving us any before / after samples. Is the last sample thought to be a sample of how 'useless' the camera now is? I can't see anything really wrong with it, to be honest.

3. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    I also use old nex5 with FW5 (I bought it second hand with FW5, so I dont know what is the difference..) .. it works ok, no color problem, I shoot raw :)

4. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Looking back to when I got my NEX-5 in summer 2010, it seems pretty useless with FW1 now ... Good I didn't know too much about photography back then, otherwise I probably never had bought into a camera system that only had cameras with less buttons than most Point&Shoots ... ^^

5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I too have been using a Nex-5 with the FW5 and don't seem to have any issues...
    I also recently upgraded a friends Nex-5 with FW5 from FW1

I don't think you can obtain older FW updates...