Old guy with a camera needs some help

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by AlwaysOnAuto, Dec 31, 2017.

1. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 17, 2015
    OK, as a resolution for the New Year, I'm going to try to use my camera(s) to more of its/their ability/capability.
    In that vane, I looked at the MENU after reading one of the posts here and found an Application List.
    When I dove in deeper (this is really like jumping off the deep end for me as I used to be computer savy [at least my wife still THINKS I am] but they've really left me in the dust lately) I found this list:
    DSC06540.JPG
    Are these something that comes with the camera when new or were they downloaded by the previous owner (it's a used camera)?

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I think that's the default app setup. But if you like doing long exposures, you really should try out the Smooth Reflection app.

3. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Before I do that, I'd like to figure out how to use/what these do since they're already in the camera.

4. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    PlayMemories Camera Apps takes you to the in-camera version of Sony's app store so you can get more apps (a few free, most not).
    Application Management lets you manage the apps on your camera, login info, etc.
    The Smart Remote is designed to let you use a smartphone/tablet as a remote control.

I have a few of the apps and use them occasionally. Some work pretty well, some not so well. I would not get too dependent on them; the A9 and A7Riii no longer support them, from what I've read. There is a petition out there somewhere to get Sony to put support back in, but I would not hold my breath waiting for that to happen.

5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    You could try the Touchless Shutter app. It allows you to release the shutter by waving your hand past the viewfinder eyepiece, so without touching the camera. It's free and does just this one thing, an ideal way to dip your toe into the apps pool IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
  6. firemist

firemist TalkEmount Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    My advice - don't waste your time with these apps. Just more stuff that gets in the way of a good photograph.

Just my 2c worth, take it for what it costs.

7. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Seriously, firemist?

I have sometimes found myself in a place where a long exposure would yield a good photograph, and I didn’t have a ND filter with me for the lens I wanted to use. On those occasions having the Smooth Reflection app already installed in my camera was worth a lot more to me than the US$9 Sony charged me for it, and it most certainly cost less than any decent ND filter.

Maybe you don’t ever have any use for the various apps Sony offers (or in the case of the A9 and A7RIII, used to offer), but I have yet to find them an impediment to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. firemist

firemist TalkEmount Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    David,

OK, you can put me in the "grumpy old men" group, lol

Happy New Year to you and all forum members!

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Thank you all for the info/ideas.
    I did get a Sony remote for Christmas so I won't need to use an app for 'touchless' firings.
    For now, I think I'll just try to use the camera more and explore the different parts of the menu that don't involve apps.

10. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Hey, I’m a card-carrying member of that club! :laugh:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    The touchless shutter app has been useful for astro photography before I picked up an IR remote shutter, and the remote Play Memories phone interface was also good to have, albeit it's rather crippled for the a6000 and may have more options for the A7 bodies. There are bunch that are for free so trying a few them won't be a monetary loss.

12. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    My wife would probably tell you I'm a founding father of that grumpy group.

Will, my biggest problem is I don't know 'how' to use an app. I have a dumb phone so no help there. My Galaxy Tab S tablet is only used to surf the web/email while sitting in my easy chair watching TV. I guess you could say I don't get the idea of an 'app'.
    Does it equate to a 'program' in a desk top computer?
    That I can understand.

• Like Like x 1
  13. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Exactly! :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    OK. I guess I have a hard time 'thinking' of my camera as a 'computer' even though I know it is or has one inside it.

15. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    The apps are actually running on some version of Android, probably modified by Sony for the camera. So in that sense, rather like an Android smartphone or tablet app.

• Wow Wow x 1
  16. newst

newst TalkEmount Regular

Aug 20, 2014
    Troy, MI
    Steve New
    I'm not going to bad mouth the Sony apps, mostly because I've never used any beyond the PlayMemories app, and that only to wirelessly transfer jpg files from the camera to a phone or tablet. I don't do this often but occasionally I want to share a current photo where I don't have access to my computer. A quick upload, a tweak or two in Perfectly Clear or Snapseed, then text, email, etc. the image to whomever. It works smoothly enough.

• Like Like x 2
  17. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Yes, a program. You can download them from Sony directly with the camera or off their website into the camera via the USB cable.
    Since you have the Galaxy Tab S, you can download Sony's Play Memories 'App' from the Google Store. And then you can remotely control and shoot and upload photos with the tablet.

18. MAZALA

MAZALA TalkEmount Regular

Dec 2, 2016
    I just tried that app, thanks to your suggestion. great way to keep things steady when you happen to forget your remote shutter control. Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
    When I saw the title to this thread, I thought to myself, " Hmmmm.... I don't remember posting that. " I guess "old guy" just looked to familiar.

• Funny Funny x 3