• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Ok, you buncha' clowns...

Brownie

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Tim
The only time I bought a new body with the kit lens was 9 years ago, when I got my first Sony camera, the NEX-6 (with the 16-50mm collapsible lens). Yeah, those kit lenses are inexpensive, but they're usually not worth even what little you pay for them. :rolleyes-20:
Agreed. The 7III costs $200 more with the kit lens, I'd rather put the $200 into something else.

Although does it seem plausible they'd release their shiny new bauble with that lens? I'm thinking 24-70/4 or 24-105.

Brownie

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Tim
Given the typical price of those lenses, I don't see them making a kit out of them. Even if it was a great deal, for what they would need to charge it would not look price competitive. I could be wrong.
Both are available in current Mk3 kits.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
It does look that way, doesn't it? But Sony themselves shows only the 28-70 as a "kit lens" and the savings are about half the value of the lens purchased seperately. For the other lenses, note that the kit is not a savings at all. It is exactly the same price as it would be if you purchased the camera as body-only and bought the lens separately. Sony may be encouraging this bundling, but there is no extra value in it.

Brownie

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Tim
It does look that way, doesn't it? But Sony themselves shows only the 28-70 as a "kit lens" and the savings are about half the value of the lens purchased seperately. For the other lenses, note that the kit is not a savings at all. It is exactly the same price as it would be if you purchased the camera as body-only and bought the lens separately. Sony may be encouraging this bundling, but there is no extra value in it.
By God, you're right! Not being on the market for those camera/lens combos I never did the math. I finally visited Sony's website and it looks like they only offer a few bundles in the 7 series, none for the 1, 9, RIV, etc. So unless they think better of it more than likely that 28-70 will be the kit. Again, not a huge issue for me since none of those are on my immediate-radar, but good info nonetheless.

Brownie

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Tim
And speaking of lenses...

My experience with Samyang/Rokinon is limited to M/43. I've had the 7.5/3.5 and still own the 85/1.4. Both of those lenses are stellar performers. This being parfocal plus autofocus and a zoom, it's definitely a departure from their normal market. If they can maintain performance it could affect Tamron and Sigma in this lens range. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/lea...mm-f-2-8-fe-autofocus-and-parfocal-zoom-lens/

Brownie

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Tim
Hi, remember me? In post 19 I said things happen for a reason. KEH is running their one-year warranty special. They had a 24-240 and A6000 in the same condition as MPB for less $. The lens got here today, the body probably won't get here until after Thanksgiving because they have yet to receive my trade. They're also having a +10% bump for trades. Strangely, the quote they gave me when I called was more than the on-line quote form. Not by much, but enough. I ranked my camera a notch lower than I think it is so there are no surprises.

Brownie

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Tim
Finally heard back from them, figure they were busy between their 10% trade bump offer and the Thanksgiving weekend. They did indeed increase my trade in to Excellent +. My total OOP cost for the A6000 with tax was $58.85. Not bad at all.

Latest threads

Top Bottom