• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Ok, you buncha' clowns...

Brownie

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Tim
Sooooo tired of waiting for the A7IV. In my typical impatient manner I've been poking around at the sites and found that MPB has the 24-240 in EC with all accessories and original packaging for $624. I almost bought it in anticipation of my new camera, then decided not to. Piffle.

Today the new rumor is end of October for an announcement, probably not in hand for months. So, again being the impatient bugger I am, I decided to poke around over at MPB some more. I have this Sony SLT-65 and a Sigma 16-50 2.8 that doesn't get used. I offered it up to MPB towards a 24-240 and an A6000, also with all accessories and original packaging as a holdover until I get and A7-XX. The SLT and Sigma cover the cost of the camera body, almost exactly.

Sigh....:hiding:

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Ovidiu
Sooooo tired of waiting for the A7IV. In my typical impatient manner I've been poking around at the sites and found that MPB has the 24-240 in EC with all accessories and original packaging for $624. I almost bought it in anticipation of my new camera, then decided not to. Piffle.

Today the new rumor is end of October for an announcement, probably not in hand for months. So, again being the impatient bugger I am, I decided to poke around over at MPB some more. I have this Sony SLT-65 and a Sigma 16-50 2.8 that doesn't get used. I offered it up to MPB towards a 24-240 and an A6000, also with all accessories and original packaging as a holdover until I get and A7-XX. The SLT and Sigma cover the cost of the camera body, almost exactly.

Sigh....:hiding:
My advice is do not go for the Sony FE 24-240mm lens ... It's one of the worst lenses in terms of price per IQ. Tamron offers better image quality at lower price (500 to 600 £ uses) with the 28-200mm f 2.8-5.6. While you do lose a bit or wide and telephoto reach the sharpness is significantly better wide open and stop down. I've read every single review and watch every single video on both lenses before making the final decision. Also the Tameon offers better minimum focus distance, not as good as Micro Four Thirds lenses tend to give but better then Sony's).

I was tempted by Sony a7 Mark III and I wasn't willing to wait for the Mark IV because of the higher price (will take about 12 to 24 months for the second hand price to get as low as the Mark III) so I went with the a7C because it's all the a7 III is but smaller (the only real sacrifice is number of buttons and size of the EVF).

The reason the Mark IV is being delayed (or not being announced properly) is because of the huge electronic shortage from Covid19 and the stacking-up effects of last year. Right now there's a critical shortage of aluminium capacitors, which are used in EVERYTHING, as the China's manufacturing plants have been shut down and the waiting list for components have went from 1 months to over 6 months. I don't think Sony wants to risk a fiasco of a paper launch if there's not enough of their best selling and one of the best budget 35mm FF cameras they have (look at the image problems nVidia and AMD have relating to their GPU launches and shortages).

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Yeah, that range makes the 24–240mm a tempting choice, but as Ovidiu mentions, there are better choices available these days. The 24–105mm is what I'd suggest, for instance. But if you're interested in seeing what the 24–240mm lens can do as an all-in-one travel lens, almost all of the photos I took on my motorcycle trip down in Patagonia back in 2016 were taken with it.

Brownie

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Tim
My advice is do not go for the Sony FE 24-240mm lens ... It's one of the worst lenses in terms of price per IQ.
I would say that viewing the images in this forum and on other real-world websites indicate that it's more than acceptable. If I get it and hate it I'll send it back.

Photo Credit Ken Rockwell.

"Singer in the park at night", 28 July 2017. Sony A9, Sony 24-240mm at 240mm wide-open at f/6.3 at 1/125 at Auto ISO 6,400

A9_08173-full.jpg
ILCE-9    FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS    240mm    f/6.3    1/125s    ISO 6400

Brownie

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Tim
There is also a a rather nice FE 24-240 showcase. The last few pages in particular have a lot of good images. I particularly liked the city scapes on page 9 by @Arutemu. I remember I almost bought the lens myself back then. Not sure why I never did.
Yes, I went through the entire thread before I bought. There's no doubt the lens can be soft as evidenced by some of the shots, but the majority of the photos show that it's a more than capable lens.

I looked at the other super zoom offerings before I bought. I don't see where the Tamron is better, in fact CA is almost uncontrolled at the edges, going upwards of 3MP in most cases. There's also no advantage to sharpness. The 24-105 looks like the best of the lot but is expensive. It may come later if needed. For my typical shooting I need a fast wide zoom in the 16/17-28/35 2.8 group, and a good long lens in the 150/200-600 group. Those are expensive lenses and are more important to me at the outset, so I'll concentrate my $ there.

Additionally, I'll be purchasing the LA-EA5 assuming it has full compatibility with the 7IV to use with my Minolta Maxxum glass. 50/1.7, 28-135, 35-105, 100-200, 70-210 'beercan', and 75-300, along with a Tamron 200-500. Some of those lenses are legendary, like the 35-105 and 70-210.

I always think to when I purchased my G9 and 12-60/3.5. Everyone said I should spring for the Pana-Leica 12-60/2.8 for the better IQ. Horsehockey. With all my other Leica glass, the 12-60/3.5 remains one of my main lenses and provides excellent output.

In any event I have a 7 day return window, so once it gets here (if MPB and I agree on my trade value) I'll see how it does. I will likely pit it directly against the 12-60 and see how it fairs.

Last edited:

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Ovidiu
I would love to try some of the Minolta lenses but SSM motor is required for LA-EA5 to work and get all the AF points covered on the sensor. There are some screw-type motor lenses that are intriguing, like the Beercan, which are compatible with LA-EA4 where you lose the camera's all sensor AF points coverage and you get central AF points from the SLT mirror tech and the bulky adapter.

Else the price per performance/IQ of that first-gen Minolta AF lenses would have been as amazing as the Olympus Four Thirds lenses on E-M1s.
The Minolta 28-70mm f 2.8 G SSM, Minolta 70-200mm f 2.8 G SSM, and Minolta 300mm f 2.8 G SSM are keeping their value quite strongly on the used market ... for good reason I guess.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Ovidiu
I am SO not interested in the LE-AE4 I can't even describe it. Who wants to stick that crummy translucent mirror in the way and worry about scratches? Not only that it costs $100 more. If the LE-AE5 was fully compatible with the A7III I may have stopped looking a while ago and just bought one.
Understandable, I wouldn't expect a lot of people would find the trade of downsides acceptable. I don't know if the compatibility issues are from the firmware of LE-AE5 or processing (or other technology) limitations of the older generation cameras or just Sony being lazy or worse, trying to push users to buy newer cameras to gain the full capabilities of LE-AE5. I am waiting for either the A9 or A1 (which I would prefer more) to lower in price as newer models come out until I get another camera ... that leaves me to invest more time and funds into building up a native lens set ... I survived 7 years with a crappy EVF (from Panasonic G1 and GX-7) so I can make do with a7C.

The one side-effect of this, which might or might not be a good thing, is that in looking for prime lenses I will prioritize those with aperture rings to offset the ergonomics of having only one (decent) dial on the back of the camera.

Brownie

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Tim
I would love to try some of the Minolta lenses but SSM motor is required for LA-EA5 to work and get all the AF points covered on the sensor.
I missed this the first time around. You do not need a separate motor, it's built in to the adapter. The 5 is the latest generation and improves on the 4.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Ovidiu
I missed this the first time around. You do not need a separate motor, it's built in to the adapter. The 5 is the latest generation and improves on the 4.
On Sony a1 (as well as a9 Mark II, a7r Mark IV and a6600) the compatibility with AF and AF-C is almost 100%:

http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp...?area=eu&lang=en&mdl=ILCE-1&cat=7#notes_adp_0

Even on older screw-drive AF motors

But on anything less then brand new Sony cameras (this is Sony a7 Mark III):

http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp...bility.php?area=eu&lang=en&mdl=ILCE-7M3&cat=7

This is the "Beercan" Mark II:
1633644819978.png
   ---            

With the LA-EA5 the AF does not work but with the LA-EA4 it does work ... which is a bit convoluted isn't it. Please do make sure that the lenses you have are really compatible before you make a purchase decision, here are 2 sources on this "mess":

Brownie

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Tim
Thanks. I think we're singing on the same page of the hymnbook. I know the LA5 isn't fully compatible with the MKIII, which is one of the reason I'm waiting for the MKIV. I am making the assumption that it will be compatible.

From post #10:
Additionally, I'll be purchasing the LA-EA5 assuming it has full compatibility with the 7IV to use with my Minolta Maxxum glass. 50/1.7, 28-135, 35-105, 100-200, 70-210 'beercan', and 75-300, along with a Tamron 200-500. Some of those lenses are legendary, like the 35-105 and 70-210.

And then in post #12:
If the LE-AE5 was fully compatible with the A7III I may have stopped looking a while ago and just bought one.

Of course we won't know for certain until it's released, but I think it's a reasonable assumption based on Sony's more recent cameras. I would expect them to follow suit.

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
If you want to look for other A6000/SEL24240 pics, mine are scattered about. Check my posts between 2014 and 2017 and there must be quite a few. Especially some from my Mediterranean cruise in 2015 - Probably in Pic a Day

Brownie

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Tim
I'm afraid this may have been a massive failure. After inspection MPB reduced the value of my camera by a significant amount, so I've told them to send it and the lens back. That typically results in more communication deal-cutting with them, but perhaps not this time. What I find irritating is that I bought the camera body from them in 'excellent' condition a year ago, and it hasn't been out of the bag a dozen times. It looks and functions exactly as they sold it to me. They are now rating it 'good'. On top of that, that particular body has increased in value based on their current prices.

Oh well, onward and upward. Things happen for a reason. October 21st is just around the corner, and who knows what lens they'll bundle the IV with?

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Ovidiu
I'm afraid this may have been a massive failure. After inspection MPB reduced the value of my camera by a significant amount, so I've told them to send it and the lens back. That typically results in more communication deal-cutting with them, but perhaps not this time. What I find irritating is that I bought the camera body from them in 'excellent' condition a year ago, and it hasn't been out of the bag a dozen times. It looks and functions exactly as they sold it to me. They are now rating it 'good'. On top of that, that particular body has increased in value based on their current prices.

Oh well, onward and upward. Things happen for a reason. October 21st is just around the corner, and who knows what lens they'll bundle the IV with?
Probably the Sony FE 28-70mm f 3.5-5.6 ... which is not worth it, or maybe the Sony FE 24-70mm f 4 G but I doubt it.

Latest threads

Top Bottom