1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Oily blades on Pen-f 38mm f/1.8 - what to do?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Nate_Dogg, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Nate_Dogg

Nate_Dogg TalkEmount Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    Eugene, OR
    Nate Pfeifer
    So I just received a Pen-f 38mm f/1.8, which I purchased on E-Bay for ~$180 (US). Upon initial inspection, I found that there was a few small spots of oil on the aperture blades. :( The aperture still seems snappy, with maybe a little bit of drag between f/11 and f/16.

My question is:
    Do you think it's worth having the blades cleaned by a repair shop, or should I just return it?
    Also, I assume that it would be a bad idea to try and clean them myself. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
    Nate

2. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I doubt it would effect your images. Is the rest of the lens good? Are you happy with the condition of the optics and body? Is the focus action smooth or stiff? If you are happy with the rest of the lens, I wouldn't bother with repair unless they become an issue and since snapping back never really comes into play using it on a NEX I would think you'll be fine. As for sending it back...$180 is a pretty good price but not great (it's good on eBay but you can find them cheaper if you scour the forums) but sending it back might be more hassle than it's worth.

3. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Don't fix it if it isn't broken. With Nex slightly oily aperture blades don't matter. I deoiled a Pentax M 28/2.8 but you need a lens spanner for that. I would try to get a small compensation from seller.

4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I also have some lenses with oily blades and mostly it's not a problem, but sometimes the blades won't move anymore, especially in cold conditions or when not used for a long time; there's also the risk of oil spilling over on lens elements. I'd go for a serious discount at least to cover the repair costs, or simply return it.

5. Nate_Dogg

Nate_Dogg TalkEmount Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    Eugene, OR
    Nate Pfeifer
    Thanks for the responses, all! As a quick point of reference, here is a photo showing the oil on the blades -- as you can see it's pretty minimal:

DSC00171.

Attached Files:

6. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Indeed, that doesn't look too bad, probably not going to be a problem if you don't store it in a hot place.