Off-camera flash experiments

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by Kirkp, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Kirkp

Kirkp TalkEmount Regular

Nov 2, 2014
    I'm learning to use off-camera flash so started with a little experiment. I'm sharing it in case any other newbees are interested.
    The remote flash is a Minolta 3600-HSD. The camera is a NEX-6, with a Sony HLV-3200 as the TTL controller. I started with both flashes off, and found exposure settings that got the ambient light where I wanted it. Next I turned on the HLV-3200 (on-camera), took several shots with various flash compensation settings, then chose the one that best balanced the flash and ambient light. Finally I switched to the remote flash, and again tried several flash compensation settings. Not surprisingly, the off camera flash had by far the best result. The photo is just some junk on the coffee table, but it shows the process.
    https://flic.kr/s/aHske6RhTo
    Next I'd like to try this on a portrait.
    I'd also like to get my flash closer to the center of the umbrella. I may try a DIY solution like this:
    http://www.diyphotography.net/get-your-flash-100-on-axis-with-umbrella/

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  2. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Nice this gives a good example of the differences between on and off camera flash thanks :)

3. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    Nice example.

4. Kirkp

Kirkp TalkEmount Regular

Nov 2, 2014
    Flipping back and forth between the on-camera and remote flash shots, I was surprised at how much richer each item looks. The off-camera flash brings out the wood grain, the texture of the silver candles, the translucency of the wax candles. The soft shadows give everything a sense of depth. It would have been difficult to get this exposed right in the days of film, but with digital it's a quick series of trial and error shots. The cost of the umbrella setup was low: a $7 umbrella and $7 umbrella holder from ebay and a thrift shop tripod.
    ... Next I'll try a more serious still life or a portrait.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015