Ode to my 5n

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by dixeyk, Feb 23, 2013.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    With all the talk about the Fuji XE-1 and NEX 7 (both terrific cameras) and my recent "fling" with my Fuji X10 I hadn't been spending as much time with my NEX as i would have. So I spent the last few days getting reacquainted with it. I won't bother to post images because quite frankly we all KNOW they produce great results (all of them) but I wanted to post that I for one quite like the 5n. I like the NEX 7 as well but I don't think of the 5n as being crippled or somehopw defificent because it lacks and EVF or the much loved Tri-Nav controls. I think the NEX 5n is quite a remarkable camera in its own right. Like any camera it has its flaws, but I find that it gives me what I want/need in a digital back for my legacy glass. I should also note that with firmware update 1.0.2 the AF has gotten quite a bit more sure and quick (I won't say fast).

I started to think about the 5n and what I would like for it to do that it doesn't and the list is a lot smaller than I thought it would be. I could only come up with a few things. First, I wish I could remap the video button because I hit it on accident more than I like. Second I wish it has a thumb wheel instead of the dial on the back because I find it more comfortable. I wish it had proper posts to attach a strap to instead of those flat point and shoot style slots and I'd love it if the menu item to format the SD card were not burieds ten levels deep in the UI but havng the UI go back to the last item helps a lot. Finally, if the touch screen did focus and shoot instead of just focus that would be nice.

Other than that I don't have a lot of complaints. Now I have a very simple style of shooting and I realize it wouldn't work for a lot of people (maybe most folks) but I shoot in aperture priority, set Auto ISO and I'm good to go. I change the aperture on the lens, and the click dial on the back allows exposure compensation, metering, drive and changes the rear display. I could do wothout the changing of the rear display and would like that to be something else but its not a deal breaker. I shoot available light so I don't need a flash much (and the little included flash does work when I do need one) and because of an eye condition I find the LCD prefereable to using an EVF (I tried the very nice Sony EVF). I turned off the touch screen (since there is no focus/shoot option) and my 5n acts a whole lot like one of my old compact RF cameras. My Fuji X10 looks more like them but the NEX is more like them in spirit.

So would I like a NEX 7 with the bigger sensor and Tri-Nav...sure. Am I pining for it? Nope, not really. If I'm honest with myself the 5n really does meet my needs pretty well. In fact the C3 met my needs pretty well and had the distinction of a bit better magnification in focus assist (up to 15x vs 9.5x for the 5n). Now the 5n does give me a few things over the C3 that made it worth it. It shoots faster and feel like it operates faster and the grip is more comfortable (to me). I also think the IQ of the 5n is a bit better but I can't verify it. Someday I'll move up to the NEX 8 or what-have-you but for now I am actually quite satisfied with my 5n.

2. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    +1

I really like my 5N. I like 5N so much that I got a 2nd one (used, just a little over $300, 200 clicks from B&H). Now, for some long hikes, I can take two NEXes with prime lenses and still be lighter than DSLR with kit lens. I don't need to change lenses in the field.

I use the touch screen very often for setting the MF magnification point. Unlike Kevin, I definitely don't like touch to shoot. This is the first thing I turn off on my Panasonic micro 4/3.

I like the handling of 6, but the IQ is about the same. I think I'll just wait for the FF NEX. In the mean time, I have D600 if I travel by car. Playing with all sorts of lenses sure is fun.

3. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    Agree with you on that one - love touch to focus but prefer to use the shutter to shoot.

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Honestly, my only real complaint is that for those buttons you can program you are limited in your options. I mean, if I can choose functions for a button, why can't I choose any of the possible functions instead of just some of the functions? That's just annoying.

5. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I've used that a few times and I didn't dislike it especially. Maybe I'll play around with it some more.

6. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I agree that the WHAT of the programmable buttons seems pretty arbitrary. Annoying yes, but useable. I'm more annoyed by not being able to remap the video button like I could on my E-PM1. I think the new firmware for the NEX 7 allows that as well. It would be nice it that trickled down to the 5n.

7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Yep, a remap of the video button to something like AEL would be very useful.

8. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Sorry...I hit the wrong button (thats' why your post says last edited by ME).
    :doh:

I have the bottom button (below the wheel as AEL)...I just found out I could do that TODAY.

9. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    That's where mine is mapped to. Unfortunately, you lose it with a manual focus lens because it defaults to focus magnification. I had the right side of the wheel programmed to AEL and that sticks with any lens, but unfortunately, I sometimes hit that switch while handling the camera and I don't always notice the * on the screen and get really weird results.

Well, weirder than usual anyway.