1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Odd Ricoh statement

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by TonyTurley, Sep 17, 2014.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I saw this on PF earlier. It is supposed to be a paraphrase of statements made by Ricoh execs at Photokina. If they are not being misquoted, I find it a touch odd:

What is your view of the mirrorless ILC market, including cameras with Micro Four Thirds and APS-C sensors?

Our answer for mirrorless is the Q mount system, as we think that the basis of mirrorless is more with compactness than quality images (emphasis mine), so at this moment with continue the Q series for mirrorless models, to provide bodies with compactness.

I have a Pentax Q. I have gotten very good images from it. However, it falls short of a NEX when it comes to IQ and convenience, especially since the 6 has an EVF. I just look at their statement and wonder what is the purpose of a camera, if not to obtain quality images? Compact and quirky only go so far.

Tony

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Well, I bet he'd like to take that statement back. ;)

But I get what he's trying to say. I have taken some great shots with my iPhone. No, they're not "high-quality" images. But they're still great images, IMO, some of them worthy of framing and hanging on my walls. And though I bought the A7 in order to get great "quality" images, I don't carry it with me most of the time because, as compact as it is, it's still too much of an inconvenience. I have to "plan" my outings with it.

So Ricoh may be trying to build a camera that's "good enough" while still keeping the form factor small enough to make it easy to take along. And the advances in sensor technology may just allow them to do that. Good luck to them, I say.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    After getting over myself and look closer at that mirrorless thing with tiny sensor, I have to say the QX system seems quite nice with a handful of nice lenses. Still, a camera maker who says image quality is not the most important concern seems a little weird. With the APS-C and MFt markets being crowded by huge companies having a small sensor MILC might just be comfortable for them.

4. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    The Q system does have some nice lenses. The 8.5mm prime that came with some bodies is a fine little lens. I've even used adapted lenses on the Q, but I really bought the camera mainly for mounting on model airplanes. Its intervalometer function is very handy.

Tony

5. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    They are trying to find their niche in the saturated market. For better or worse, his words seem to indicate they are going after portability above all. Although, having no experience whatsoever with Pentax / Ricoh Q line, it seems that Nikon J1 would be better positioned for this ?

6. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Ricoh Imaging France has confirmed today on their facebook page that a new full frame camera is currently in development too...

7. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
  8. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
  9. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    HA HA I just like the fact that it has in-body stabilization.

10. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I like the Q, but I would have never bought it at its original $800 USD, nor even at 1/2 that. I have no way of verifying this, but it supposedly was a hot seller in Japan. Just for grins, here is a comparison between the Q with an 01 (8.5mm/1.9) Standard Prime and the NEX-6 with the SEL20F28. I happen to own both of these combos, and they have both served me well.

http://camerasize.com/compact/#190.356,375.369,ha,t

Tony

11. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    No offence to the pentax fans but that K-S1 is amazingly ugly :daz:

12. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    LOL That's a Sony forum so that should be ok. But don't go say that to a Pentax forum

My flickr: https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/118310489@N03/