1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Oakland Art Fair with my brand new Rokinon 8mm. ultrawide

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by loonsailor, Feb 7, 2013.

1. loonsailor

loonsailor TalkEmount Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Berkeley, CA, USA
    I just got my cool new Rokinon 8mm and decided to try to learn to shoot with a fisheye by doing some street photog at Oakland's monthly First Friday art fair / party. Lots of fun! I love the lens, especially mounted on my Nex-6. One thing that became clear quickly is that proximity is very important with this lens. I was sticking the camera right into the midst of things. The little Sony / Rokinon combination is perfect for this - it would be much more awkward with my big SLR. I shot mostly in aperture priority auto mode which worked great, even in very difficult lighting conditions. The Nex-6 continues to impress. Manual focus on the lens is no problem, because depth of field with an 8mm means almost everything is always in focus anyway.

I've attached a few photos. More at Oakland First Friday Feb 2013 - Jerry Fiddler Photography.

014-jfid_20130201_00629. 016-jfid_20130201_00741. 024-jfid_20130201_00619. 038-jfid_20130201_00703. 042-jfid_20130201_00750.

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I just sold my Pentax 10-17mm fisheye and picked up a Rokinon off ebay. Looks like the Rok is just as wide as my 10-17 was, and it's faster to boot.

Thanks for posting these up. :)

3. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Art from art ... . This is surprisingly good lens for it price. The lens is made by Korean Samyang but sold by many names.

4. kaptnkain

kaptnkain TalkEmount Regular

Feb 4, 2013
    Ilya
    Looks great. I've been thinking of picking one up.

5. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    Very nice. That uwa lens opens up a whole new world. Thanks for posting.

Claude

6. ErickSaint

ErickSaint TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    Nice set. The shot of the guy with small child under a sign for a discount freak nasty store sure is a conversation piece.

I have been eying up this lens for a little while. Also looking at something like the Sigma 19, and the Sony 16mm (one keeps tempting me on the local craigslist dropping every week, supposedly NIB for $150 now). Looking at my pic info I seem to shoot at 18mm most often with my kit lens.

I have so many wants and so little money, not sure where to spread the cash. :)

7. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Nice little series. Have fun with your new lens.

8. loonsailor

Feb 7, 2013
    Berkeley, CA, USA
    Thanks for the kind words.

I bought the Sony 10-18 to cover the range you're talking about, but it's definitely pricy if you're on a tight budget. It's a fine lens, but haven't used it all that much. It does distort, but the lens profile in lightroom (or the software in the camera if you shoot jpg's - I never do) will solve that very nicely.

The Rokinon is a bargain. I got mine for $249 from Amazon on a gold box special deal, now it's back to $299, which is still very reasonable. The Sigma 19mm prime is a great deal at $99 right now, but I'm not sure how much better it is, really, than the kit lens zoomed to 18mm. I love the Rokinon 8mm - the build quality is excellent, I enjoy the way it's ultrawide perspective sucks me in to things and makes me see differently, and the images just have a great "look". But it's not a general purpose lens. It has that fisheye-style distortion (which is part of the appeal, for me). And of course it's fully manual - both aperture and focus. Not a big issue (see my original post) but something to think about. FWIW, I find myself wanting to go out and shoot specifically with that lens, which has very rarely happened to me before. Whether you'll feel the same, and how useful it will be for you, depends on what you want to do, and how you like to see.

I have no experience with the Sony 16mm, but if I remember correctly the reviews were not stellar. You won't find 16mm very different than the 18mm you have now, perspective-wise, unless you get the screw-on fisheye adapter.

I guess I haven't made your decision any easier, but hopefully you'll work it out.

9. ErickSaint

ErickSaint TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    The main thoughts behind the 16 were to use the adapters, and the portability of the whole setup while using it. Not sure how much I would use something as wide as the 8mm, but I sure am drawn to anything shot with an extreme fisheye.

10. loonsailor

Feb 7, 2013
    Berkeley, CA, USA