1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

NZ Sacred Kingfisher

Discussion in 'Nature' started by macro, Aug 30, 2013.

1. macro

macro TalkEmount Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    New Zealand
    Danny Young
    I tend to concentrate on these and the Welcome Swallows here. Something about small fast birds that appeal, but still love the larger birds as well.

NEX-7 and either the Canon FD 500 F/4.5L or the 800mm F/5.6L

DSC090421.

DSC04571.

DSC04141.

DSC03133.

DSC02117-4.

DSC02271.

DSC01821.

DSC01824.

DSC01826.

All the best folks.

Danny.

2. Frank Teurlings

Frank Teurlings TalkEmount Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Netherlands
    Super nice and well recorded.

3. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    Another great set. The KF is one bird that is very difficult to get close to. I'm sure there is a lot of preparation to get shots like these. Congrats.

4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Amazing!!! :thumbup:

5. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Gorgeous!

6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    All of them are excellent! It boggles my mind that you can capture such beauty with a manual focus lens, Danny.

7. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Splendid as always, Danny. My attempts to get small birds in flight with my Rokkor 30cm have turned up goose eggs so far, so the 500mm & 800mm makes yours even more impressive.

Tony

8. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Flying Death to Crabs! Great shots as usual. I do have a question though- what is the pellet in the 6th shot? Do Kingfisher's regurgitate undigested stuff like owls do?

9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Another great set

10. macro

macro TalkEmount Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    New Zealand
    Danny Young
    Yeah they do do mate, you are bang on. Exactly the same and a lot of birds do that with left over shells and the like they can't digest. Probably because they mainly eat crabs at the estuary they tend to do this a fair bit. I've even seen Tern's doing that when in flight.

That particular shot also has the nictitating membrane over the eye. That's to help protect it I would say. They do that on a dive quite often and when they bash the crabs on a perch.

Tony: Just keep at it because once you nail one or two, you then click on to what works for you mate, its more about the feel with MF and being very relaxed. I know why people find it hard, they try too hard :) just relax and take it slowly. I'll write something up for here Tony shortly mate. BIF at close range is hard work, so work further out (quite a way) and just get used to it and the cropping needed, then slowly and gradually start to try closer shots. You will get it Tony, promise you ;)

Hey all the best folks and thanks. Appreciate it.

Danny.