1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

NX1 - Samsung - very impressive

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by tomO2013, Aug 22, 2015.

1. tomO2013

tomO2013 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 11, 2014
    I've had a chance to play with the Samsung NX1 yesterday with the latest firmware 1.4.
    If this had a Nikon or Canon badge on it I think people would be snapping them up.
    I was very impressed. It's a different beast altogether from the original release.

I was especially impressed at the improvements Samsung have made via firmware since the first version I tried (think it was firmware 1.2). They have implemented a lot of nice new features including the latest firmware giving DIS (digital image stabilization) for all lenses and providing a hybrid 5 axis for their OIS lenses. It genuinely works and works very well.
    Focus with their 16-50 was the fastest that I had ever experienced (including the Em1 and Nikon D4). Image quality was very very nice and the colour palette was particularly pleasing to my eye. Skin tones looked excellent. Their 85mm 1.4 is a fabulous portrait lens. There is a lot to like.

They have some nice glass although not too many fast primes. The ones that Samsung does have look to be optically excellent though and I remember reading that they had a partnership/poached some schneider engineer to develop out their pro 'S' line of lenses.

While I'm fairly invested into the Sony eco system, I'd seriously consider this camera now given all the improvements that have gone into it. Its a highly capable piece of kit.

Although Samsung have remained very quiet over the last while, they are the only manufacturer that I feel is capable of competing with Sony at the technological level. In many ways the NX 1 is still at the cutting edge with their very small 65nm process. I have not read what the specific process that Sony is using for the A7rii but for the 36mp sensor in the d810, d800 and a7r they used a 180nm aluminium based process.

Does anybody here own one, have real world first hand experience with one? Do you think Samsung are in this for the long haul?

• Informative Informative x 4
  2. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    Samsung have a problem with the perception of their cameras and Canon have a problem with the perception of their sensors. It would seem a marriage made in heaven.

3. tomO2013

tomO2013 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 11, 2014
    The funny thing is, due to the nature of the longer flange back distance that Samsung use, they are not able to use Leica M mount lenses or other such lenses requiring a shorter flange back. On the other hand the longer flange back distance allows many/most Samsung lenses to perform extremely well in terms of across the frame sharpness and vignetting. It's a hugely under appreciated camera system IMHO (assuming you are happy up to approximately 200mm native).

I also agree - there are other synergies between Canon and Samsung's business lines as well. I could easily see Samsung buying Canon and folding them into the bigger Samsung empire.

It's nice also to see somebody beside Fuji pushing major new features after a products launch. Check out Samsungs DIS (digital image stabilization)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I also looked at the Samsung cameras when it first came out, but my requirement was to be able to use my dad's old Leica Thread Mount (M39) lenses. The flange distance said, fuhgedaboudit. And I have never looked at them since. I think Sony had the right idea to try and be the Universal back.