1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Now that NEX 6's are under $400, are you still waiting for the A6000?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by lenshoarder, Mar 3, 2014.

1. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    The NEX 6 is now on clearance for under $400. Personally, I'm waiting for the A6000. I don't want another 16MP NEX. Are others still going to wait for the A6000 or will you settle for the NEX 6 at half the cost? By the way, the 3N is similarly being blown out for $189.

2. Synomis192

Synomis192 TalkEmount Regular

May 26, 2013
    I'd settle for the NEX 6. There's a lot of similarities between the two and for me, the $200 price difference isnt worth it the difference. Sure. Newer technology means better performance. But the Nex 6 is still a step up from my Nex F3 and I would be happy with it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TalkEmount mobile app

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I just upgraded from my F3 to my 6 a couple of months ago. Not a huge difference in sensor, but the handeling is much better.

I am very pleased with my 6, and plan on keeping it for many years.

As for 6 versus A6000, it really depends on your needs. If I were to the upgrade today, I would spring for the A6000.

A device just beginning life versus an no longer supported device is a big consideration. The better sensor another. That even better AF is a final consideration.

Still totally satisfied with my 6.

4. fboss

fboss New to TalkEmount

Dec 17, 2013
    I have a Nex 6 and I'm tempted to switch to the A6000. AF speed, the new menu and sensor. But I'm still happy with my Nex 6. If I had to choose today between a Nex 6 at $400 and A6000 at $650, I would probably buy the A6000.

5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    For a person that shoots exclusively MF, I'm perfectly fine with my Nex-6.
    If I were to start shooting AF again, then yes I would be very tempted to get the A6000 (since fast AF is what seems one of its main innovations)
    And finally, if I was just getting into cameras today and was looking into getting my 1st camera, then I'd definitely get the A6000 for its price :)

6. JSL

JSL New to TalkEmount

Mar 3, 2014
    SoCal, USA
    Err Where are you seeing these prices?? I have checked Amazon and Sony site.. (USA)

7. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 TalkEmount Regular

Mar 2, 2014
    RI
    I bought Nex 6 with 16-50 yesterday $599. Was $799 in store but Best Buy honored the .com price.

8. rossi46

rossi46 TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 28, 2014
    I would also like evidence that shows the NEX-6 is "on clearance for under $400."

Like hrtrat57, I recently bought a 6 w/ kit lens when the B&H and amazon prices went down to $600. (I then proceeded to sell the kit lens for $150.)

9. hrstrat57

Mar 2, 2014
    RI
    Nex 6 was not even listed on Sony.com today - suggest folks waiting for lower price might consider moving now at the $599. My local best buy had 5 remaining and it is stock out.

So far I think it is a fantastic bit of kit!! Looking forward to hooking up my vintage glass quiver via EA2!

10. lenshoarder

Feb 7, 2012
    It's disheartening to see such suspicion and mistrust. I'd thought my post history would have been enough.

Anyways, here's the evidence for the NEX 6 I posted on DPR earlier.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53242075

Here's the evidence for the 3N.

3n.

11. rossi46

rossi46 TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 28, 2014
    You never mentioned "open box" in your post; you said "clearance." There is a difference.

12. lenshoarder

Feb 7, 2012
    If you knew anything about retailing, you'd know it's common to sell off new items as open box to get around certain agreements. Just like how Focus recently sold new RX10's as open box in order to give a discount. BB, Sears and others are known to sell off clearance items as open box. So an open box can be an "open box", a display or a new clearance item. Recently my BB sold off all it's new NX300s as "open box" for $309. Either that or they sold all 3 of them, had all 3 returned and put all 3 back in the exact same spot in the cage in the course of a week.

13. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Let's not get off topic folks, and lets keep it civil.

Clearly the older NEX models are going to get bigger and bigger discounts.

• Like Like x 2
  14. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    You probably know a lot more about "retaling" than us but nevertheless please try to maintain the friendly atmosphere of this forum...

15. lenshoarder

Feb 7, 2012
    I wasn't the one that posted the need for evidence. If he wanted to know where, he could have asked like the other poster. I didn't feel the "friendly" atmosphere from that post or his followup.

16. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    children,children, calm down,it's only words on a page

• Like Like x 1
  17. mbenjam

mbenjam New to TalkEmount

Mar 9, 2014

I took the plunge in February with a new NEX6, kit lens and 55-210 lens. Sony took $100 off the zoom price because it was a bundle deal, and the zoom was an open box at Best Buy. Price then was $799 for the camera/lens combo and $200 for the zoom.

I had considered waiting for the A6000, and while I would have liked to have had 24MP and faster AF, I have a whole extra two months' worth of great photos and video to justify the purchase now.

I understand the EVF on the 6 is higher resolution, and I think that's a pretty cool feature.

I doubt Sony will drop the price of the 6 by very much to close them out--the price has already dropped a few hundred since it came out at nearly $1000 for the kit.

Also, perhaps the A6000 will tend to get too hot shooting video, as the NEX7 seemed to do, or some other unforeseen problem. It might take a year to fully understand all the idiosyncrasies of the new model.

This is a good site and you all seem to be a nice group of people..go easy on a newbie!

Mike

18. demiro

demiro TalkEmount Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    I just picked up a used 6. I've pretty much decided not to buy anything upon release. Given the high quality options we have and the often precipitous price drops I can't justify paying full retail just to be first on the block with the shiniest new toy.

• Like Like x 1
  19. hrstrat57

Mar 2, 2014
    RI
    I had this in mind as well with my purchase of the NEX-6 kit.

20. bopfan

bopfan TalkEmount Regular

Jul 21, 2013
    Worthington, Ohio
    Denny
    I bought the NEX 6 with the 16-50 from Amazon 11 days ago for $599. Not worth the wait or the extra $$ for the A6000. Still have a 3N for a back up body too. Got a very good price for my used 5R and the electronic viewfinder. So I ended up spending $35 for a new NEX 6.