Notes on the Canon FD 20-35mm f/3.5L on the A7

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by MAubrey, Aug 10, 2014.

1. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

So I recently picked up an ultra-wide zoom for my A7 in the form of a Canon FD 20-35mm f/3.5L. (and now I have a nice Canon FD trinity: 20-35mm , 85mm, & 135mm). I haven't yet had an opportunity to truly put it through its paces, but here are some initial thoughts:

• Lots of CA at all apertures on the outer portions of the frame. Thankfully, that's easily correctable in LR.
    • Vignetting isn't an issue at f/5.6 and smaller.
    • Excellent resolution in the center wide open out to about 2/3rds the frame for all focal lengths--even the edges are decent.
    • To the extent that there is out of focus blur (it is an ultra wide after all), the quality of that blur is top notch.
    • Corners are super soft at 20mm and 24mm unless you stop down to at least f/8.
    • For landscape work, f/11 is ideal.
    • Serious mustache distortion at 20mm
    • Thankfully, the built in profile for the Canon EF 17-40mm does quite a good job at correcting it. The Canon 20mm f/2.8 profile works nearly as effectively.
    Some example photos coming shortly...

• Like Like x 2
  2. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Wide open at 20mm:
    _DSC3243-2.

Wide open at 20mm with 17-40mm lens profile:
    _DSC3243.

With these two images, right click and select copy image location and put them in separate tabs and flip between them. You'll be able to see the dramatic difference more easily.

20mm at f/7.1 or f/6.7 (whatever it is between f/5.6 and f/8):
    _DSC3244.

Center crop:
    _DSC3244-3.

Top left corner crop:
    _DSC3244-2.

• Like Like x 7
  3. jaspat3

jaspat3 New to TalkEmount

Dec 28, 2014
    Some more pictures A7r + Canon fd 20-35mm f3.5 L

The lens is really interesting/good with the A7r.
    Probably best at 20mm
    [​IMG]

4. jaspat3

jaspat3 New to TalkEmount

Dec 28, 2014
  5. DigitalD

DigitalD TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Thanks Mike for posting this. I always wondered about this lens. I have the 20mm f2.8 and the 35mm f2 so Ive never 'needed' this one but it does render very nicely. I wish Canon had made a 35mm F1.4L in a FD mount back then because I would own it, but alas they did not.