Not the latest and greatest but....

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by teefin1, Feb 6, 2013.

1. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    6FEBLING2 (3).

It's been 24 hours and I've had some time to spend with the little C3. Its not the newest model, nor the sexiest, most desired, but its not the most expensive either, and it competes in many ways.

6FEBTY2 (2)A.

The widely criticised AF isn't too shabby for NEX, slap the Sigma 30 on the front and I have a fab compact, point and shoot, with IQ that cant be rivalled in the point and shoot market (read and weep RX100 ;))

The downside....WEAK focus peaking (sob, sob). This may be model specific or copy specific (or just the LOOOOW light in my living room) but a bummer as I really enjoy the legacy lenses on the NEX system. Ive tried the Hex's, Minolta and the M42's, none blow me away peaking-wise as did the NEX 5n and F3.

But still, I open up the files on my rubbishy laptop and cant help but think its a damn good little pocket cam.
    It may take some effort but the colour, sharpness and best of all shallow DOF is all there.....which other compact does all this for less than £200:

6FEBKIRA4 (3).

Attached Files:

2. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    Excellent synopsis and photos to match,
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    I bought my original 3, back when there was only the 3 and 5. It served me well, and the only reason I bought my now current F3 was for the built in flash.
  4. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
  5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    I find the 3 portrait shots are EXCELENT!!! :thumbup:

Sucks about the peaking, but (tho it may be just my idea) I find the peaking on my 5 with the 18-55 kit lens weaker than with the MD 50 1.7 :? I shot the same subject in the same lighting conditions...So, maybe its a lens thing?
  6. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    No Nick, she said she tried all lenses and all performed weakly. I'd venture it's copy specific, because Kevin who uses his NEX solely with legacy glass, never mentioned lesser peaking of his C3 vs his 5N. I'll find out soon enough when I try my own copy on Monday.
    In the meantime I find all 3 kids portraits really, really nice, I especially like the girl's (Kira ??) B&W, but that little boy's expression is precious too !!
    Lots of clarity and texture in the shots. Can't be beat for the price !
    Please keep them coming, I'm hooked ;)
  7. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think that peaking works by comparing nearby pixels. So correct exposure (the is no difference in pixel vales if it is black or white) and contrastier lenses work better.
  8. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Thanks guys. I'd also assume it's copy specific as it performs similarly to the 7 I had. My idea Is maybe to keep it as my compact camera, with the 35mm 1.8, which I hate the price of, but prefer the 1.8 to the 2.8 of the Sigma. I wonder if anyone here has one and can vouch for it's performance/size etc in comparison to the Sigma or the Sony 50mm, which is excellent, but too big really for a compact.
  9. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    I'm ordering one to be delivered on Monday, so by mid week I can tell you exactly how it performs, including vs the SEL50, since I briefly owned one.