Not one to post loot but...

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dsiglin, Aug 10, 2013.

1. dsiglin

dsiglin TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    Valdese, NC hosts an annual festival that includes such southern american staples as vintage hotrods, ice cream parlors (look up myar's in valdese), old tractors, and lots of daisy dukes. I took the trusty old nex along with sigma 30 and Helios 44m-7. Good times were had and I'll post some photos of the shenanigans but for now I'll share that as the wife scoured an antique store I spotted a Konica Autoreflex T neglected in a corner. Walking up to it I saw the price tag: $10. Not bad especially since it had a lens. Then I noticed the lens had a very prominent front element. I had just stumbled across a near pristine Hexanon 57mm 1.4 for $10! Of course I tried to haggle the owner to $5 but she only knocked a dollar off. So, ladies and gentlemen, here's my newly acquired pride and joy next to a fantastic 1928 edition of Jason and the argonauts. I had to tell you guys because the family doesn't get my obsession with old lenses.

[​IMG]

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Mine either. Enjoy

3. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Congratulations! Great find.

I really like the photo too. Perfect subjects for a little faded look.

4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Nice score!!! And a wonderful photo to go with ;)

5. dsiglin

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    Cheers guys, it's a lonely life for us vintage lens lovers. :) I'll post some test photos later today.

Got a hardware question, the viewfinder is foggy. Anyone know info on how to disassemble the top of the autoreflex t? Thanks!

6. dsiglin

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    Sorry for the delay. I found out the lens rattles a bit as if the rear lens element is loose. Going to crack this sucker open this week and see if I can't tighten it down. Anyways, here lens test results. The current king of 1.4 lenses that I've tried (not many) is the Canon FD SSC 50mm 1.4. First we have 100% crop RAW file straight from my Nex 5n. All taken at 100 iso, 1/100, tripod mount, remote controlled 2 second timer shots.

Hexanon 57mm @1.4
    Hex_14_detail.

Canon 50mm @1.4
    Can_14_detail.

Yeah ok that wasn't even close. Sorry Hexanon. Granted sharpness is not everything. Next we have an f2 test. Again, 100% crop RAW straight from camera.

Hexanon 57mm @2
    Hex_2_detail.

Canon 50mm @2
    can_2_detail.

Hexanon 57mm @2.8
    Hex_28.JPG

Canon 50mm @2.8
    Can_28.JPG

Here are two comparison shots hand-held.

Ok so enough clinical shots. Some real world test shots, mostly shot at f2.

Hex_cat1.

Hex_cat2.JPG

Hex_freestyle2.JPG

Hex_freestyle3.JPG

7. dsiglin

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    Here's one more stress test shot wide open hand held.

Hexanon @1.4
    Hex_freestyle.JPG

Canon @1.4
    Can_freestyle.JPG

And for icing on the top, here's some shots of my newly acquired Olympus 70-150mm f4 all shot at 150mm.

@f4
    Oly_4.JPG

@f5.6
    Oly_56.JPG

8. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Besides what the test comparison shots may show, I gotta say that those real world test shots (cat) are amazing!!! And for me personally that's what matters the most ;)

Nice work :thumbup:

9. dsiglin

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks, it's all for the betterment of my fellow legacy lens user.

You are absolutely correct, real world shots are the best "reviews" I see. I notice the Hexanon has a more "furtive" bokeh wide open, compared to the Canon. It seems to be a tamer version of the Helios 44m-7. For a portrait photographer who wants a nice soft feel and very narrow DOF this lens would be an excellent choice.

btw - bought me a bottle of that absinthe you see dripping. A local distillery just started making it, it's the real deal absinthe, not sweet much at all and oh so wonderful. I talked to the distillery and they are going to let me come in with my Mamiya 645 to take some more photos. I'm working on a photo book idea for things made in my local area.