1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Not meteors, but

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by TonyTurley, May 26, 2014.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I haven't been doing much photography lately, so the morning of 5/24 I set out to try to capture the Camelopardalid meteor shower. I saw only a few meteors, but never captured any in my images. However, the sky was incredibly clear, with the best starscape I've seen in a long time, and the Milky Way band clearly visible to the naked eye. I grabbed a couple of pics using the 5R and Minolta 24-35. Antares and Scorpius are just over the larger foreground tree in the second photo.

Tony

DSC00814_zps89dc5ae4.

DSC00818_zps97faf172.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Sweet. All I saw was clouds. Again. ;)

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, the weather sucked here too. But in the course of researching the showers I found (and bookmarked) this website for future reference. If you live in North America, it can give you about a 48-hour heads up for ideal shooting conditions.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Thanks for the link, DW. Jim, I missed the big Moon & Mars event a couple of months ago due to heavy cloud cover, as well as the last round of the Geminids. I guess we were due one.

Tony

5. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    Hey Tony - nice shots. They would have been super sweet if you could have maybe lowered the ISO and increased the exposure time though, as there's a fair bit of noise in them. What where your settings for these ? If you take a look at my recent night shots, there's not much noise in the stars / sky - I used ISO 800, wide open at f/2.8 and exposed for about 10-15 seconds. Hope you don't mind me commenting :) Cheers

6. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    No, don't mind at all. They were ISO 1600. One was 15s, one 20s. My lens only opens to f/3.5, and the attempts I made at ISO 800 didn't have the detail I wanted. I also was concerned about going over 20s on the time. I didn't want a bunch of star trails.

Tony