Not a nex user, but...

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by tino84, Feb 21, 2014.

1. tino84

tino84 New to TalkEmount

Feb 20, 2014
    hi to all :D

as titled, I'm not a nex user (yet), as I own a beautiful olympus e-pl1.

But light is never enough for my adapted pk lens..

I wish I have a low light/night iso performance.
    From here, doubts:

-buy an m4/3 speedbooster, using the more light instead of iso increase (Cheapest solution)

-buy a Nex body, using its ISO capabilities and sony's sensor.

and Nex body, wich of between:

- nex 3/5
    - nex c3
    - nex f3

from the cheapest I found, to "highest" priced (obviously used)

3/5 and c3 could not use a Viewfinder, that I have on e-pl1, but also buy the sony Oled VF won't be so fast to achieve..
    f3 can use a vf, costs around 200€ used, 3/5 and c3 between 130€/150€, with c3 having a better LCD angle

so, I don't know Nex's IQ: would be better to spend a little more to buy f3, with future option to buy a vf, or due the cost, would be better buy a cheaper c3, 3/5, using the lcd? (and again, wouldn' be better to save money and buy a nex6, with vf, instead of f3+vf, or better save money, buy f3, and wait sony vf dorps his price?)

and above all, does a c3/f3 beat my little e-pl1 in ISO and general IQ? or would be better use money to buy faster lenses and speedbooster?

At the end :biggrin: e-pl1+sb or nex? (and if nex, wich one?)

PS: sorry for my big amount of doubts :p

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I switched from M43 to Nex for better high iso performance and larger sensor (makes use of legacy lenses much more practical).

If you aren't in hurry one possibility is wait for Nex 6 price to drop. A6000 will come out in couple of months. Nex EVF is pretty pricey and I don't think it is practical solution.

3. tino84

tino84 New to TalkEmount

Feb 20, 2014
    this is a good point to take under consideration, thak you :)

4. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Nex 7 is in sale here in Finland now. 450 E for body only. I ordered one right away (I have speculated about Nex 6/7 price dropping and made my mind already so decision was easy, I lose wired remote with Nex 7 [comparing to a6000] but gain tri-navi [more than fair trade, I think considering 200 euro price difference] [there are other gains in A6000 over Nex 7 but not so interested in them]).

5. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    If you are looking for small dof, nex is better esp if you get nex+SB:) However, new generation m43 has also better higher ISO then EPL1 as some of the Oly bodies uses Sony sensors. So high iso difference is not that much eg I use ISO 6400 on both, but the af in low light is better w/ m43 latest gen cameras (at least compared to nex-6/A7R). Also it depends on how much you invested in m43. If you buy a Sony, please share your photos:)

6. tino84

tino84 New to TalkEmount

Feb 20, 2014
    I just have 14-42, Vf3 and batteries, (and waiting to take a sigma 30mm f2,8 or 40-150), so I think would be better to stay with m4/3, if differences with Nex are not strong

7. Synomis192

Synomis192 TalkEmount Regular

May 26, 2013
    I would consider getting a speedbooster. Seeing that you'd gain a stop of light and you DOF will be shallower. It's the cheapest route for you! Then again, you also have to consider which mount you'd like to get the speedbooster in. For m4/3, you'll be shooting at 1.4 crop instead of the 2x crop.

8. tino84

tino84 New to TalkEmount

Feb 20, 2014
    hi, thank you for your tip. I also considered speedbooster, even if the only available here in EU (at least, the only I found on ebay.co.uk -so no tax duty, here in Italy postal office is not so kind with import-) is camdiox, for canon ef (that will let me choose various other mounts, like pk-ef, cctv-ef, and soon maybe, m39-ef and 4/3-ef). I am only wondering if camdiox SB would works well..

9. Synomis192

Synomis192 TalkEmount Regular

May 26, 2013
    It should be fine. But you have to be aware that some SB's don't have Aperture control, I'm not sure if the Camdiox has aperture control.

10. tino84

tino84 New to TalkEmount

Feb 20, 2014
    ehm, at the end, I just bought an e-pl5 that comes for 200€ because of a little scratch on a side of the LCD, something I won't bother..so I think no SB or nex in the next future :-D