Northrup on Minolta/Sony history

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by JMM, Mar 23, 2017.

1. JMM

JMM TalkEmount Regular

Jul 29, 2016
    John

Some interesting bits on sony market position (sony sensors are everywhere). Gets interesting in about 1/2 of the video.

• Like Like x 3
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I've been a follower of their channel for years and the general consensus was that the Northrup's were always "against" Sony's cameras (mostly fan of Canon and Nikon) but this video/podcast shows a change of their preferences IMO...Sounds like the A99-II has something to do with it :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I've mentioned in another thread where Tony & Chelsea came up that I hadn't been a fan, but I have been following their channel closer lately, finding more good and useful on it, and also have noticed their tilt toward a more positive view of Sony cameras. I think their warming really started (as it seemingly did for many in the photography blogging world) with the A7RII, and now it seems like the A99II has sealed it for Tony.

As for this history rundown on Sony & Minolta, for those who previously didn't know much about the two companies, it might be a good overview. But... and here comes the critic in me... they do ramble a bit and gloss over and/or misstate a few key points. One being that, as I understand it, Sony did not buy all of Minolta in 2006, but just the interchangeable lens/camera division. From this they inherited the existing Minolta A-mount system of lenses and cameras, both analog and digital, which originated with Minolta around 1985. Other divisions of Minolta remained with Konica-Minolta, which lives on to this day making business and industrial imaging products, including copiers, laser printers, and digital print systems for the production printing market, as well as medical and graphic imaging products.

Otherwise, a decent view/listen, and a good companion to the pieces they've done on the histories of Nikon, Canon, and Fujifilm.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. JMM

JMM TalkEmount Regular

Jul 29, 2016
    John
    IMO until a6000/a7 and now a99II/A7II Sony didnt had anything special, but now bodies are pretty impressive. Sadly E lens development aint what i expected.

5. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    A lot of the mistakes are corrected in the comments, but I would guess a lot of people do not even glance through them. I often do not either, but for some reason did this time.

At least they are giving Sony some credit these days. Cameras aside, Sony really has innovated a lot of technology, especially portable electronics. And as far as I know, they still have a pretty big following in video gear. It was rather odd that they apparently make a lot of money in finance and life insurance, though.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SamSS

SamSS TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 11, 2014
    I've watch their videos occasionally. But, I must say this one is the most distractive of all.
    Couldn't tell if it was the lighting or her t-shirt. :)
    Now, what Sony makes?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    Yes she certainly has big aspirations :D:p

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    The finance and life insurance business has generated all the profit in the last 10 years - the remains of the business has generated as many losses as profits.

As for Tony Northrup, I think he has been reasonably consistent in his views.

On the one hand he is attracted to the typical Canikon setup - doesnt mind large bodies, likes dual sims, weathersealing, prefers their continuous focusing - likes the range of their lenses (he is a birder) as well as their value (particularly 3rd party manufacturers). On the other hand he likes all the 'tech' in mirrorless - prefers an evf, wants decent 4k, articulating screens, wifi etc..

Actually there are quite a lot of photogs like him who have practically given up on Canikon producing decent mirrorless and want to push Sony into building DSLR sized bodies and lenses (not a good move if you ask me.) Not surprised he is attracted to the A99ii but I doubt he will buy into the system because he (and most others) are not convinced by its longevity.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. grillec

grillec TalkEmount Regular

Mar 19, 2015
    :) In another forum someone has written, he enjoyed the video. He turned off the volume, played a quiet song and covered the right half of his screen with a towel.
    And paid 5$ in the chauvi box :)

Another one has written, that this video is lame. After 1/2h there was not one dog in this episode of dog whisperer.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. fractal

fractal TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    she's a healthy lass.

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. fractal

fractal TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Tony wrongly stated that the A99 was the first Sony full-frame camera. The A900 was first, followed by the A850.

I'm warming up to him but still seems like he was the kid in class everyone wanted to beat up.

• Funny Funny x 4
  12. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    For this video, they should rename the show from Picture This....to Picture These. :D

She's a pretty gal, and equally cool.

As for Tony, he's stereotypical of most DSLR shooters, initially negative or cold towards mirrorless. Usage eventually makes them realize the positives of mirrorless.
    The bias used to be quite evident, and the videos weren't objective and I didn't bother watching them. They are much improved now, and I think their channel is one of the better photography ones.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    I think "healthier" in some places :D

• Funny Funny x 2