1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Northeastern Oregon

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Jefenator, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    It's been a good 11 years since I've visited the opposite corner of my home state. Time to get over there again!

I'm very partial to wide open spaces and the Colombia Plateau certainly checks that box (while being subtly different from the desert terrain I visit more often...)
    talkemount-1.
    The main objective was to visit and explore the Wallowa Mountains near Enterprise and Joseph. I started with this spur road, heading up out of Lostine:
    talkemount-2.
    One of the very few decent vistas obtainable from the highway: the range in all its glory with a few ranch buildings in the foreground.
    talkemount-3.
    Zumwalt Prairie to the East is a unique area. This was one of the quietest afternoons I've ever spent (and that's saying a lot).
    talkemount-4.
    As I mentioned, getting a good view from the asphalt highway can be a chore (especially when you factor in finding a safe spot to pull over). No such problem out on the gravel!
    talkemount-5.
    No visit to the region should be complete without checking out Hells Canyon, the deepest river gorge in North America.
    talkemount-6.
    On the way home, Ritter Hot Springs made my day. It's like a hot spring and a ghost town rolled into one! (It is actually well looked after, though - reasonable rates and open from Memorial Day to Labor Day.)
    talkemount-7.
    Coming home via Bend, it just wouldn't do to overnight in some RV park down amidst all the traffic. Not when you can quickly tuck up into a volcano crater and camp and hike on the shore of a lovely lake.
    talkemount-8. talkemount-9.
    I had the EOS M with an ultra-wide zoom and shot with it quite a bit but wound up heavily favoring my captures with the Sony A7, 35/2.8 & 55 (also the vintage Minolta MD 85/2 for that gravel road panorama).

The 35/2.8 almost feels like a telephoto next to the 16mm equivalent ultra-wide. But I found a careful composition with it often won out over a sloppier wider composition. (The EVF certainly helps a lot - I also appreciate the IQ nuances of the larger format and Zeiss T* Sonnar primes.)

I do feel as though I haven't really learned how to use the ultra-wide properly yet. It does often seem as though a stitched panorama suits me better for the way I like to render mountain ranges. (And that took some learning and is still a work in progress...)

• Like Like x 11
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Just lovely wide open spaces

Sent from my SM-N920P using TalkEmount app

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    You got some awesome vistas there, Jeff. I'd be jealous, but I'm heading up there myself on the bike in a couple of weeks. :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. southy

southy TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    Really nice perspectives of the beautiful countryside up there. The gravel road shot is wonderful.

5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Beautiful set Jeff! Really enjoyed those on Flickr :)
    #3, #4 and #5 are my favorites :thumbsup:

6. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    Beautiful country out there. There is something very soothing about seeing all that wide open space.

7. Jefenator

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    If I could do it all over, I would probably spend another day on the Hells Canyon overlooks (particularly Buckhorn and Hat Point). (Visiting the dam was worth doing once but I probably won't bother with that again...)
    Can't really go too wrong up there. Those roads on the plateau made me wish I still had the motorcycle!

8. Jefenator

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Very glad to hear you say that (means the photos are having the desired effect).
    Actually being there is of course that much more effective. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Jefenator

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Should also mention: if you're a brew pub junkie like me, you will definitely want to make time for "Terminal Gravity" in Enterprise and "1188" in John Day.

• Like Like x 1
  10. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    That's one of the great things about living in Oregon, isn't it? There are good brew pubs everywhere! But I'll be skipping John Day on this trip, and just rolling through Enterprise. And my #1 rule while riding: no alcohol. :frown:

But my plan is to overnight in Baker City, and I know a couple of good brew pubs there. :drinks:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Jefenator

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Sounds like a good rule. Can't wait to see what shots you come up with! :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. southy

southy TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    God created coffee shops just for such occasions. :coffee-26:

• Like Like x 1