• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Normal zoom

saledolce

TalkEmount Regular
I'm looking for a "normal zoom" for my A7ii, an body I may upgrade to an A7iii (or A7c?) before the end of the year. Ideal range would be 24-80 (what I get from my current Zuiko 12-40 for m43), and also in terms of size and weight that would be my sweetspot. I believe I can live with f4 since I have nice bright primes for this kit.

I think my options are:
a) the kit lens. Pros: 100% free, as I already own it. Size and weight ok Cons: IQ can be improved, just 28mm on the short end, 70 on the long end is ok
b) Zeiss 24-70 f4. Pros: relatively cheap at the moment, size and weight ok, gives me the 24mm on the wide angle end Cons: the IQ improvement over the previous option doesn't seem outstanding
c) Tamron 28-75 f2.8 Pros: excellent IQ, bright aperture, size and weight still acceptable Cons: just 28mm wide angle, if I can't find a gently used one it would cost me about 2x compared to the zeiss above
d) Sony 24-105 f4 Pros: IQ is outstanding , the FL range overachieves my objectives Cons: clearly the most expensive option, used or new, size and weight start being a concern

is there anything more I should evaluate? would you agree with the pros and cons I listed above? Any suggestion or comment is superwelcome.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
When looking for a 'normal' zoom for family events and the like, I chose the Tamron 28-75 over the Sony 24-105. It's a tough call, but I valued f2.8 vs f4 more than 28mm vs 24mm. That said, the 24-105 is supposed to be the proverbial "bag of primes". The 28-75 is decent enough for my uses, but if high image quality is a requirement you may want the 24-105.

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
My advice is to get the Sony 24–105mm. But that's based on the kinds of subjects that I like to shoot, mostly landscape/nature shots, and almost no event/family photos. And I have no way of knowing whether we share that preference.

But for me, any "standard" zoom that starts at 28mm at its widest end is a complete non-starter. So that eliminates the kit lens and the Tamron. I've owned the Sony 24-70mm, and it was a decent lens. But it just couldn't compete with the 24–105mm. I also owned an older Tamron 24–70mm f/2.8 that I used with the LA-EA3 adapter, and did a quick comparison between it and the Sony 24–105mm, which you can see here. If you click on that link, you will see that the Tamron just couldn't hold a candle to the Sony 24–105mm.

Yes, the major downside to the Sony 24–105mm is its size. But here's a comparison between it and the kit lens, mounted to your A7II:

Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 9.29.12 AM.png
   ---            

I don't know how you like to carry your camera, but I carry mine in one of the many camera bags I've accumulated over the years. And honestly, I can't imagine the size difference causing me much of an issue. Both would take up a similar amount of space in my bag.

Yes, it's pricey. But worth it, IMhO.

BruceRH

New to TalkEmount
I'm looking for a "normal zoom" for my A7ii, an body I may upgrade to an A7iii (or A7c?) before the end of the year. Ideal range would be 24-80 (what I get from my current Zuiko 12-40 for m43), and also in terms of size and weight that would be my sweetspot. I believe I can live with f4 since I have nice bright primes for this kit.

I think my options are:
a) the kit lens. Pros: 100% free, as I already own it. Size and weight ok Cons: IQ can be improved, just 28mm on the short end, 70 on the long end is ok
b) Zeiss 24-70 f4. Pros: relatively cheap at the moment, size and weight ok, gives me the 24mm on the wide angle end Cons: the IQ improvement over the previous option doesn't seem outstanding
c) Tamron 28-75 f2.8 Pros: excellent IQ, bright aperture, size and weight still acceptable Cons: just 28mm wide angle, if I can't find a gently used one it would cost me about 2x compared to the zeiss above
d) Sony 24-105 f4 Pros: IQ is outstanding , the FL range overachieves my objectives Cons: clearly the most expensive option, used or new, size and weight start being a concern

is there anything more I should evaluate? would you agree with the pros and cons I listed above? Any suggestion or comment is superwelcome.
Take a look at the Tamron 28-200. It is a great size and getting used to 28mm vs 24mm isn’t that bad. I sold my Sony 24-105 after getting the 28-200. You should also take a look at the new Sigma 28-70/2.8. Small and light. I have the much larger Sigma 24-70/2.8 and I do not use it very much because of the size and weight. I handled the Sigma 28-70/2.8 in my local camera shop and it was very nice. The 28-200 is a great all around lens and would be my pick. If you want really small, the lens that comes with the A7c, the 28-60, is a very good lens while compact and very light. I love mine.

saledolce

TalkEmount Regular
Oh, Sigma makes a 24-70/2.8 also, part of their Art series so should be decent IQ. Might be worth looking into.
this one wasn't on my radar, will definitely look into it thanks

saledolce

TalkEmount Regular
Take a look at the Tamron 28-200. It is a great size and getting used to 28mm vs 24mm isn’t that bad. I sold my Sony 24-105 after getting the 28-200. You should also take a look at the new Sigma 28-70/2.8. Small and light. I have the much larger Sigma 24-70/2.8 and I do not use it very much because of the size and weight. I handled the Sigma 28-70/2.8 in my local camera shop and it was very nice. The 28-200 is a great all around lens and would be my pick. If you want really small, the lens that comes with the A7c, the 28-60, is a very good lens while compact and very light. I love mine.
In my current m43 kit, that 28-200 would take the role of my Zuiko 12-100. It's a great versatile lens, but it's not your baseline standard zoom. It's one more lens for a specific need. New small and light Sigma 2.8 it's definitely something to look into. Are you referring to the same lens as @bdbits ? he mentions a 24-70, is that two different Sigma 2.8s?

saledolce

TalkEmount Regular
My advice is to get the Sony 24–105mm. B

I don't know how you like to carry your camera

Having owned one in the past, I know that IQ wise that lens is awesome, and I also know it's weight bothered me a bit. I carry my camera on a Peak Design Slide (or leash if I go for one of the smaller setups). With 24-105 it would have to be Slide.

Oh, and a 50mm f1.8 in a pocket somewhere:)

saledolce

TalkEmount Regular
I just checked the Sigma site. I only found a 24–70mm f/2.8 for Sony E-mount there. No 28–70mm.
Did my homeworks:
They have a 24-70 f2.8 in the ART line
And a 28-70 f2.8 in the Contemporary line

the first one if top IQ but large and heavy, the second one is lighter, smaller, more plasticky. The review put it on similar IQ level to the Tamron, I’ll dig deeper but it seems a very strong option at the moment.

saledolce

TalkEmount Regular
I looked in the native lenses showcase forum, and couldn’t find a Sigma 28-70 f2.8 contemporary thread. Did I miss anything?

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
I don't think you'd find one there as it's not a native Sony lens.
As long as it's an E-mount lens, its showcase belongs in the Native Lens showcase. And that includes all E-mount lenses by Sigma, Samyang, Tamron, or any other lens manufacturer. But I couldn't find a thread for the Sigma 28–70 Contemporary either.

BruceRH

New to TalkEmount
In my current m43 kit, that 28-200 would take the role of my Zuiko 12-100. It's a great versatile lens, but it's not your baseline standard zoom. It's one more lens for a specific need. New small and light Sigma 2.8 it's definitely something to look into. Are you referring to the same lens as @bdbits ? he mentions a 24-70, is that two different Sigma 2.8s?
Did my homeworks:
They have a 24-70 f2.8 in the ART line
And a 28-70 f2.8 in the Contemporary line

the first one if top IQ but large and heavy, the second one is lighter, smaller, more plasticky. The review put it on similar IQ level to the Tamron, I’ll dig deeper but it seems a very strong option at the moment.
Sorry, just saw your question but I see you have answered it! The newer Sigma 28-70/2.8 looks to be a really nice lens. Handling and build quality are very good and as I said before, much lighter and smaller than the Sigma 24-70/2.8. Reviews seem to indicate image quality is very similar.

The reason I bought the Tamron 28-200 was for the same reason you mentioned, to serve the same function as my Olympus 12-100. The 28-200 does a very good job at that and by using crop mode, I get 300mm which can definitely be useful. I highly recommend the 28-200 for a walk around lens but for an urban setting, the Sigma 28-70 is probably all I would really need.

BruceRH

New to TalkEmount
Here is size comparison of the 28-200, 28-70 and Olympus 12-100 (note that the Sigma 28-70/2.8 has it‘s hood attached while the others do not)

And a link: https://j.mp/2ZuWshT
D685FD7A-9763-4242-89EA-4C894CBDD3B4.jpeg
   ---            

BruceRH

New to TalkEmount
I have a sigma 28-70 incoming. Size and weight seem ideal, I'll know more about IQ soon.
I’ll be curious to hear what you think. I have the Sigma 24-70/2.8 and it has excellent image quality but it is big and heavy. I thought about trading it in for the Sigma 28-70 which is much smaller but now I am waiting to see what the new Tamron 28-75/2.8 brings to the table before making a decision. Good and bad to have choices!

saledolce

TalkEmount Regular
I’ll be curious to hear what you think. I have the Sigma 24-70/2.8 and it has excellent image quality but it is big and heavy. I thought about trading it in for the Sigma 28-70 which is much smaller but now I am waiting to see what the new Tamron 28-75/2.8 brings to the table before making a decision. Good and bad to have choices!
Still in flight, I'll open a showcase thread ASAP as it seems we don't have one yet.

I wanted to keep the weight close to my Zuiko 12-40, which is around 380 grams and I consider that size/weight perfect for an all rounder lens. Only two options are close:
- the zeiss 24-70 f4, almost identical weight
- the new sigma, about +100g

I believe the Zeiss is a pretty solid contender too, despite the negative reviews: most of those are not considering the current street price, the Sigma (on amazon warehouses) costs more or less 2x the Zeiss (used, on mbp) and for a 50% saving the zeiss is a compelling package. Anyway, spent some time looking at pictures on Flickr and the IQ seems pretty promising.

Latest threads

Top Bottom