Noob video question (sorry in advance)

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by Random_Stranger, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Random_Stranger

Random_Stranger New to TalkEmount

Jul 20, 2013
    Hi All,

I just bought a NEX 3N coming from a stills DSLR background and never shot video before.
    I have been reading lots online, and my head is about to explode but there are a few things I dont understand
    --AVHD is 1,920x1,080 while MPEG is 1,440x1,080, so it seems logical to shoot AVHD for the extra pixels, correct?
    --50i or 25p, I intend to take a few clips at my sisters wedding, so hardly fast moving action. I may want to slow down some scenes PP afterwards, would 25p be better as each frame would be complete?

I do apologise for asking such noob questions, but your responses would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
  2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    No reason to be sorry for asking a question. Never.

Not for the extra pixels (the MPEG pixels aren't square, so you get the same FOV), but rather for the extra bandwith.

I don't know exactly which bandwith options the 3N has, but judging from the frame rates, it should be 16 Mbit/s 50i and 24 Mbit/s 24p. As shooting with higher bandwith always contains more data the image quality should be better. Also, to get realistic motion (i.e. that "film look"), you should always shoot at a shutter speed one stop over the frame rate, i.e. 1/50th of a second when shooting at 24p - which gives you better low light capabilities than shooting at 50i (1/100th of a second), which is quite important at a wedding.
  3. Random_Stranger

Random_Stranger New to TalkEmount

Jul 20, 2013
    Hi Poki,

Thank you for your detailed response.
    The NEX 3N has 24M/50i and 24M/25p.

To summarise:
    --Shoot AVHD 1,920x1,080, 24M for extra bandwidth
    --25p, 1/50 for the film look and low light ability
    --50i, 1/100 for fast moving scenes or where I intend to use slow motion in post production

Many Thanks in advance,
  4. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    ....But will you be able to use the video 'footage' that you capture??......

I use the original NEX 3,..a camera that is excellent for still images and which has 'video facility' in three qualities. However, in practice it is almost useless as the video can't be edited or used as it stands since no software came with the camera. I have not even been able to load the video onto a disc so that other people can see what I shot....and basic joining togeterh of clips is impossible.......

.........Apparently, One needs a very expensive 'pro' editing package such as Adobe 'Premier' to use video shot with the NEX....
  5. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    That sums it up quite good. Although you should keep in mind that 50i is not ideal for slow motion sequences.

First, Lightworks is now FREE! It's an awesome editing software that was used to create many 'hollywood' movies that you probably know. Just go to their website and see it for yourself. And the fee version can at least transcode AVCHD. If you want more, FCP X isn't that expensive either, and the magnetic timeline is the best thing that ever happened to video editing. And if you google, there are some pretty simple ways to use AVCHD content in iMovie.

Having that said, easy editing is the reason why Sony still includes the MP4 option.