• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Noob question: is the any value in older Minolta (circa ~1985) lenses with a Nex-7?

Sabre36

TalkEmount Regular
I recently purchased a Sony Nex-7 and a SEL10-18mm lens. Thus far, I have only a day of experience with Nex cameras having come from Pentax K5 and Nikon cameras. In a month or so, I intend to buy the Sony 35mm 1.8 lens and then will pretty much be tapped out.

I have some older Minolta lenses sitting in a closet that were inherited from a relative's Minolta x-e370 camera kit:

• Minolta 50mm f1.4
  • Gemini 28mm f2.8 macro
  • Nikura 75-250mm f3.5
  • Quantenary 35-80mm f4-5.6

Do these lenses have any 'practical' value with a Nex-7? If so, which adapter would I buy? The local camera shop said flat out (without really looking at them), that these lenses weren't worth it in manual mode. I was kind hoping the 50mm might be a worthy lens. The build quality on most of these lenses is quite impressive, especially compared to my new 10-18mm.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Bob

eno789

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Brian
If I were you I'd get a Minolta MC/MC to NEX adapter and try at least the Minolta 50mm f1.4. Get a cheap adapter from either rainbowimaging.biz or Amazon, or if you're patient, get one from eBay.

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
The 50/1.4 happens to be one of the BEST nifties available, all brands considered !! Whoever hinted it had little value is either totally clueless, or not commercially honest enough...

100a47fefc7988ed6f685f0258364c5c_cce.jpg
NEX-6    ----    0mm    f/1.0    1/100s    ISO 400

Typical sharpness/oof area contrast of this lens, at F2.

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sabre36

TalkEmount Regular
Thank you all for your answers and posted photos (which were terrific). I ordered the Rainbow Imaging adapter and will soon try it out on the 50mm 1.7. I am now wondering if I should cancel my order for the Sony 35mm 1.8 that will be (available at the end of the month) since I could buy a Rokkor 28mm for ~$50? I typically shoot landscapes and have been happy with the 10-18mm zoom, but with all the inexpensive l Rokkor lenses available, they might better suit me my need for an occasional portrait lens.

My last question is whether an adapted lens is suitable for an everyday lens (aside from the obvious: AF & stabilization)?

My camera store did me no favors and I can't tell if they were dishonest or incompetent? If anyone here wants to sell a low light 24mm, 28mm, or 50mm, I might be interested, so keep me in mind.

-Bob

ponyslaystation

TalkEmount Regular
Unless you shoot sports all the time MF lenses are great for everyday photos. You'll get faster with time too.

Latest threads

Top Bottom