1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Non-Sony AF lenses that work?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Stefan, May 20, 2014.

1. Stefan

Stefan TalkEmount Rookie

May 20, 2014
    Sorry, I just found this forum.
    Could someone direct me to a thread that directly mentions which non sony autofocus lenses work well with the E mount system?
    Preferably the A6000 since it's the camera I've considered most vs the A7 range.

I've heard of the King series adapters working better than metabones but that was only using Canon Lenses.

My list of lenses to choose are:

Nikon AF-S 85mm f/1.8G
    Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Canon 24-70mm f/2.8

I also plan to use a non AF lens, the Jupiter 9 for it's bokeh.

Let me also know if you've had good experiences with these or similar AF lenses.
    Thanks.

Sorry for the noob redundant questions.

2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Most guys on this forum using adapted lenses with AF will be A-Mount via the LA-EA2 adaptor. So that gives you Minolta and Sony lenses, and of course the many 3rd party manufactures like Sigma etc that make/made AF A-Mount lenses.

Sigma also make native E-Mount AF lenses too.... http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/lens/dn-lens

As you found, there are canon solutions, but I can't say I've seen anyone here using them... The majority of guys and gals here are manual lens lovers! I have mainly native E-mount AF lenses, but actually find myself using MF mode on them more and more - probably spent too much time listening to people here ;)

Why the focus on AF? (no pun intended... OK, maybe a little intended!)

3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    If you want AF, you can only use either Sony E-Mount lenses (FE for A7, E and FE for A6000), or buy one of the Sony PDAF SLT adapters and use Sony A-Mount lenses.

There are adapters out which let you focus the lenses you mentioned, but AF will be extremely slow to unusable. Although I think there's a Sony A-Mount version of that Sigma 50 1.4. If not, there's the great Sony Zeiss 55 1.8 FE-Mount or the Sony Zeiss 50 1.4 A-Mount.

To replace the 24-70 - there's either the Sony Zeiss 16-70 f/4 E-Mount, the Sony Zeiss 24-70 f/4 FE-mount, the Sony Zeiss 24-70 2.8 A-Mount, the Sony Zeiss 16-80 A-Mount (APS-C) or the Sony G 16-50 2.8 A-Mount.

To replace the Nikon 85 1.8, there's the awesome Sony Zeiss 85 1.4 A-Mount lens.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Stefan

Stefan TalkEmount Rookie

May 20, 2014
    I am so happy that you all decided to tackle this.
    Would you be able to suggest something with AF abilities that has a similar DOF like the Jupiter 9?

5. Timber

Timber New to TalkEmount

May 15, 2014
    There is one more possibility for autofocus on E Mount on the cheap side and it's the Contax G and N lenses. both have adapters with autofocus. Obviously it won't be fast :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using TalkEmount mobile app

6. Stefan

Stefan TalkEmount Rookie

May 20, 2014
    Would the Samyang 85 1.4 AS work with the cameras fast AF, is there a comparable twin sony lens that comes close (not the Sony 85mm f/1.4 Carl Zeiss Planar T* Prime Lens
    that costs $1700), or should I just wait until they get the The autofocus better tune for donor lenses?

I'm a noob, and as much as I'd love to have a Leica M armed with the Noctilux, it's just not going to happen. .

7. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Why not the a6000 or a7r with the Noctilux ;)

8. Stefan

Stefan TalkEmount Rookie

May 20, 2014
    Oh I don't know, maybe if I had an extra $10k just sitting around I might try, but even if I did, there's no certainty that the AF would work.
    Just like any other donor lens.

And a $10k lens on a $700 body seems silly.
    Maybe an a7r, right? :)

9. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    You could always mate the Noctilux with a Hasselblad Solar if you feel the the body should match the lens price hehe:flypig:

10. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    The Samyang does not have autofocus - on no camera. As for the Zeiss, it's a superb lens, but of course expensive. If you really need a 85mm AF lens, then you need to get either that one or the Sony 85 2.8. Otherwise, buy a manual focus lens - focusing manually really isn't a big deal with NEX cameras.

11. Stefan

Stefan TalkEmount Rookie

May 20, 2014
    I thought the sony zeiss 85mm 1.4 planar t was strictly manual focus?

12. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    No, it's AF and OSS, all for sub-$1,800. A steal, really ;)

The other AF choices are either $700+ (KEH used price) Minolta 85/1.4, or $270 or so SAL85f2.8 with slowish (for a prime) aperture and not too fast AF. Having been spoiled by the optically excellent and super fast focusing Canon EF85/1.8 USM ($320 used) I stopped looking for Sony equivalent, for now. There's no way I'll pay these prices, and going with a f2.8 isn't very appealing either. I make do with my tele zoom for now.

13. Stefan

Stefan TalkEmount Rookie

May 20, 2014
    Nice lens
    ok, so how do i get the "AF" of that Canon lens to work with the NEX, A6k, or the A7 series?

14. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    You don't. At least not at usable speeds.

15. Stefan

Stefan TalkEmount Rookie

May 20, 2014
    So like any other brand of camera, if i want the autofocus to work, i have to buy native af lenses?
    Wow, I thought the whole idea of the NEX, A7 series, A6000 was that the emount would make the world a smaller place.

16. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Well either native E-Mount or A-Mount with the LA-EA2 adaptor will get you fast AF. But either way you are looking at 'Sony Mount' lenses - the good thing is A-Mount has been around forever as Minolta created it years ago, so A-Mount has A LOT of options...

17. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Is it really reasonable to expect AF camera lens "A" to fully function on AF camera "B" from a different manufacturer? Would you also expect a Volvo air filter to work correctly with full functionality on a Ferrari? ;)

The "world being smaller" is in regard to older legacy manual focus lenses, or in using more modern AF lenses in manual focus on an e-mount camera. Being able to use that stellar lens at all on a e-mount camera is pretty amazing IMO.