• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

No New Gear for 2013?

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I remember reading a post on either mu-43 or serious compacts that stated Amin was going to go with a no new gear pledge in 2013. Whether that's true or not I can't say but I like the idea none the less. I've spent the last few months buying new (well new to me) lenses and building up my kit and now I am feeling like there isn't much I need or want for the foreseeable future. In fact I have a few lenses that'll I'll likely sell off. So, back to the idea of no new gear in 2013...I like it, and my wallet REALLY likes the idea. I'm not sure how well I can hold to it but I think I'm gonna give it a go. Of course I can see a few areas where there are exceptions.

1. Since I only have the one camera (my 5n), if it gets stolen, lost or otherwise incapacitated (like taking a swim) then I plan to "acquire" another one.
2. SD cards, batteries or anything that wears out doesn't count.
3. Gifts don't count...but I never get cameras as gifts so that's not going to happen anyway.
4. Software doesn't count because I work in software training.

That said, I am not planning to buy any new gear and sneak it under the deadline. What I AM going to do is spend 2013 taking lots and lots of pictures, sharing my experiences here (and on my little Minolta info site when appropriate) and try to not get distracted by shiny new toys.

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Besides I have enough lenses that I can keep busy for at least 6 months before I start to repeat myself.

Jefenator

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Jeff
This seems like a pretty good idea. Especially now that I'm employing more lens systems than I used to have lenses!

This would also tie in nicely with my other pledge to work significantly less hours.

I would like to get some prints up in my online store and maybe do a gallery exhibition, so that'll take care of any extra money I might have otherwise had!

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
Hmmmmm... :rolleyes:

VivitarSeries1-03.jpg
   ---            

(I kid, I kid) :D

quezra

TalkEmount All-Pro
Well I started 2012 with the intention of buying a new phone, tablet and laptop. I still haven't even bought one of those.

I'm planning on one of those fast 32/35s but maybe I will be satisfied with my Sigma which I'm enjoying a lot so far. I'm also really looking forward to the NEX-7 successor though I don't really need it. If I make a pledge I know I'll break it, but I'm already in the middle of a huge sell-off so that's a good start.

This thread should start off with "Hi, my name is Joel and I'm a lens addict..." btw :D

NickCyprus

Super Moderator
Real Name
Nick
I bought a camera bag few days ago (Minolta one), a screen protector and a cleaning pen kit, so I'd only like a zoom lens (something along the lines of the E-mount 18-200 but cheaper ie.legacy :D) and a lens hood for my MD 50 1.7 (damn, those are hard to find :( ) and I think I'm set :)

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Hmmmmm... :rolleyes:

VivitarSeries1-03.jpg
   ---            

(I kid, I kid) :D

LOL, well...mine arrived on Friday...I said no new gear in 2013! ;)

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
Oh geez, without me guys...
It's hard enough spending one *week* without buying a new lens. Not even in my dreams about one year, lol.
I wish I could commit but I know for a fact I'd cheat in about two days, so it's totally pointless to even sign in...
Oh well, I'll keep you guys informed of my acquisitions in real time ;)

snkenai

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Stephen Noel
Pledges are made to be broken. Now commitment is another level. Not going there either. But have been unloading some unused stuff. My equipment has really streamlined lately, which I like. But, I would like to upgrade a piece or two next wear.

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
It's hard enough spending one *week* without buying a new lens. Not even in my dreams about one year, lol.
I wish I could commit but I know for a fact I'd cheat in about two days, so it's totally pointless to even sign in...

I'm counting on living vicariously through you. ;)

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
Kevin you HAVE to try that K55/1.8... It'll give your Rokkor a healthy run for its money ;)

Bimjo

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jim

While I'm not as frequently buying lenses as you are, I too will be buying lenses in 2013. I still have holes in the MF lineup I need to deal with and that, unfortunately, requires that I buy some lenses. Drat! [ and I didn't even smile when I typed that ;^) ]

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
I truly have no "need" at the moment. I have 2 AF lenses, 2 of which I might get rid of very quick (I'm almost certain to return the 50/1.8 but have another 25 days to decide, and I might list my 30/2.8, not sure yet). I have 2 135/3.5 lenses and at least one must go. I have a nice MD 50/1.7 metal build for sale that can go any moment, and have listed my trusty FL 55/1.2 as I'm curious to try other superfasts. So while I real don't have much need, I might buy a 55-210 for traveling or zoos, and maybe a wider lens, who knows.
I'll definitely be watching what is released as far as bodies go, and admit I do keep an eye on the XE-1...

Latest threads

Top Bottom