No New Announcements? A5?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by tjdean01, Feb 13, 2015.

1. tjdean01

tjdean01 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 14, 2015
    We've gone over what is likely to be announced (a7000, A7R and RX1 upgrades, some 50MP high-end, etc.). However, NOTHING has been announced. And, unfortunately for me, the thing I'm most excited about is not really on the top of anyone else's list.

I'm interested in the rumored A5, a possible entry-level FF mirrorless. It'd probably be the A7 sensor, but maybe with less metal on the body, no flippy screen, no viewfinder, no IBIS. In other words, something like an RX1 with a lens mount. Flash or hotshoe, either one will do for me. If they make it it might have a MSRP of $1399.99 or so. I usually wait for prices to drop but I might even pre-order if they had such a camera!
  2. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    At this point, wouldn't you be better off just getting a used A7?
  3. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Rumors are not a good idea to hold out hope for. And just because there's lots of big electronics events doesn't mean companies (whether Sony or anyone else) should necessarily time their production cycles around them. Remember the A7ii surprised everyone by being announced a month or two after Photokina.

Sony's strategic game appears to be countering the 'more bodies than lenses' accusation very cleverly by going two big shows in a row with just lenses (ok and a few peripheral bodies like the QX1 and A5100).
  4. ztryfe

ztryfe TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2014
    Yeah, In your situation, at this point, I would pick up a heavily discounted A7.

I am considering staying with APS-C, but that's just me :) C'mon A7000! lower the A6000 price ! ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. GateCityRadio

GateCityRadio TalkEmount Regular

Oct 9, 2014
    I'd like it if they made the A5 and set it up in the rangefinder style similar to the A6000.
  6. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    I would agree that a used A7 would be the way to go rather than wait for a 'crippled' A5. That doesn't seem a likely product release to me but I could be wrong of course. I don't have a marketing degree.

For some reason I find the low auction prices for used A7s somewhat disturbing. I am so tempted to bid.
  7. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    SAR said that there should be another announcements for camera bodies at about 3-6 more weeks later. Let's hope it's true :)
  8. tjdean01

tjdean01 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 14, 2015
    A7 is the current front-runner and since used ones rarely drop below $900 I'd go the route of getting a new one with the 28-70 lens for $1200.

Someone said the A7s is falling low and although it is; and even though I prefer the "S", $1500 for body-only is not low enough.

As far as the A5 being "crippled," it hasn't been released and we don't know any specs. Sony would have to work hard to make it a downgrade for me from the A7. No view finder would be an upgrade. A plastic body would reduce price so no comment on that one (although I'd pay for metal). Then the only crippling thing left would be to raise base ISO and max shutter speed and Celeron the sensor down to something worse than in the A7.

Let's hope some new announcements come! If not, an A7 it is...for now!
  9. teddoman

teddoman TalkEmount Regular

Nov 18, 2014
    You can find an A7S for 1500 used? I thought they were at least a few hundred more than that used