1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Nkkon flashes

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by alaios, Mar 5, 2014.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi all,
    I wanted to know if there is a a smart terminal wireless trigger that I can use with my nikon flashes , sb80,sb800,sb900 (that I currently not have :p :p)

Regards
    Alex

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think that all non-TTL triggers work with Nikon flashes. However there is not much sense in purchasing a expensive Nikon flash if you don't have a Nikon body.

3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I used a number of Nikon flashes some time ago until I replaced them by studio flashes. Nikon flashes are excellent and the older models like SB24/25/26 aren't very expensive. They even have auto exposure aboard which works quite well in combination with any camera, provided you set the flash and camera to the same ISO and aperture.

• Like Like x 1
  4. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi thanks, so given that I have a nikon flash that has embedded a wireless receiver what is the cheapest way of controlling it with my nex-f3? I need a smart terminal to hot shoe adapter and then...?

Alex

5. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think that you cannot control that flash with Sony bodies so you have to receiver too. I wouldn’t bother with 433 MHz stuff but would choose 2.4 GHz ones. Yongnuo rf-603 don't work with Sony cameras btw.. RF-602 from Wansen may be cheapest (at least I ordered one set because of price, I am trying to make a remote shutter trigger from it using Arduino and IR leds).

Allacax smor may be better option for adapter between camera and transmitter as it has a switch to turn live view off. I have used their Next II system (it bolts directly to smart terminal).

I have to check Nikon flashes myself. The Metz one I am using on camera has got quite long charging time and a small Nikon one might be good choise.

6. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi can you give some links of the remotes you said. What I do not understand is what they would have to support so my nex camera to think that there is a flash mounted on the camera

Alex

7. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi
    I bough the http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/Speedlights/SB-80DX.pdf
    sb-80dx.
    What I do not understand is that I will have to use the hot shoe to remotely control it.. I still do not get it why on the nex I can not use on the smart terminal something that will sent the wireless signal my sb-80dx would wait for flashing out.

Alex

8. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi some answers on this what I should order to make my flash work?

Alex

9. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    All camera manufacturers use their own protocols (I think that all use roughly same physical ir link, 940 nm and 38 kHz carrier) so a Sony camera won't talk to a Nikon flash. You can mount the flash in the hot shoe adapter of course but there is no way to fire the flash remotely but using wire or radio flash triggers. I purchased two pairs of triggers myself (Allacax Lumox as it should work with Allacax Next system that I have). The second system was Wansen RF-602 (I will use other pair to build radio trigger [converting radio trigger to ir one]). These radio triggers cost something like 30 USD so they are not expensive. Wires are cheaper but not so nice to use (except that TTL flash radio triggers are expensive and wires cheap).

10. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks for the answer. I was just thinking that one could think to make a smart terminal device that can be nicely be mounted on my nex camera and transmit the signal a nikon flash is "expecting". That way one would not need the wireless hot shoe adapters. I will go though for the wireless triggers you mentioned.

Alex

11. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    The problem with these ir signals is that they are manufacturer specific and pretty complex so it isn't easy to make a converter. Manual flash and radio signal is pretty easy to make, even sending TTL signals is easy. You basically measure voltage from outgoing pin and transmit that to receiving pin.

With IR-signals it is very easy to record the pulse sequence and repeat it (so there are those very cheap ir shutter releases available). Flashes are much different, camera tells the flash several things like how many pulses and what power to use. I think that modern cameras don't send the quench signal anymore, flash operation uses preflash and calculates power needed.

12. pjtan25

pjtan25 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 26, 2011