Nissin Di700a

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by robbie36, Aug 4, 2015.

1. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    A few thoughts on the Di700a Nissin flash with Air Commander. This is pretty much the only option for off camera TTL/HSS for Sony.

Things to like
    1) Good build quality in general - probably better than the Yongnuo 560iii
    2) Very simple and intuitive interface. It is pretty similar to the i40.
    3) Air commander has a pilot like which means you are not likely to leave it switched on accidentally
    4) Removable battery pack will prove popular for some people
    5) The Air Commander has a focus assist light

Things not to like
    1) Really it is too big to use comfortably on camera. Size wise it is almost exactly the same weight and size as a Yongnuo 560iii
    2) The Sony hotshoe is plastic and flimsy
    3) TTL only does =/-2 range (not enough for heavily backlit occasions).
    4) No stofen included like with the i40 and a 560iii stofen doesnt fit
    5) No top hotshoe on the trigger to mount a flash on top of the trigger on the camera.

(There is a work around for the TTL range in that you can add additional FEV in camera.)

Recycle is pretty slow from full power - about 15 seconds. However the capacitor works well. At 1/2 you can take another shot in 1/2 a second. At quarter power 3 shots consecutively etc..

Overall there is little to complain about. The biggest drawback is probably its size which doesnt make it great on-camera with the A7. Ideally I would like something somewhere between the i40 and the Di700a.

Value wise it is obviously good value as the only real TTL/HSS off camera radio wireless flash available. Whether itis worth nearly double the cost of a Yongnuo 560iii + 560tx is dependent on whether you think HSS and TTL are valuable to you.
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. metalmania

metalmania TalkEmount Regular

Dec 3, 2014
    I am still waiting for my pre-order to ship. I don't intend to use it on camera so size-wise the bigger the better. I would hate the plastic shoe.
  3. dmward

dmward TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    Speedlites on camera are by definition big, and clumsy. The smaller ones are too small to provide the power required.

The Air Commander is intended to be the on-camera controller and is about the same size as the Canon unit.

The missing feature that I find most distressing is not being able to make an on-camera Di700a a master to fire remotes via the NAS radio.
  4. Zlatko

Zlatko New to TalkEmount

Aug 18, 2015
    Zlatko Batistich
    Can you comment on the focus assist light, please — is it really bright? I have the i40 and feel that the focus assist light is too bright when used in a typical indoor evening setting. I'm sure that brighter helps for autofocus, but it can also look annoying to subjects. Canon flashes like the 430 and 600 have a more subtle light. So I'm wondering whether the Di700 is very bright like the i40 or more subtle like the Canon flashes. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.