1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Nissin Di700a and Air 1 with A7RII and A7II

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by dmward, Aug 18, 2015.

1. dmward

dmward TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    UPS delivered two Di700a speedlites and an Air 1 commander this afternoon.
    Early testing demonstrates that this is essentially the same capability as the 600EX-RT with Canon that I used from its inception until abandoning Canon for Mirrorless.

My immediate test confirm that it works in standard as well as HSS modes.

I have not determined if its possible to use a flash on camera as the master for the other groups. That's my ideal setup. Using the commander on camera with three groups off camera is a nice capability but somewhat less useful.

With the Canon 600EX-RT system, when using the STE3-rt on camera I often used 4 groups. The Nissan Air System offers only 3.

At the moment I'm encouraged with the results. Definitely the best speedlite option I've found for Mirrorless systems since abandoning Canon.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. dmward

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    Further research confirms that the speedlites can only be remotes for the radio triggering. That's a huge oversight.

However, they are inexpensive enough to still be favored over the Mitros + from Phottix, at least until Phottix gets the Odin II done and available for Sony ISO hot shoe.

3. metalmania

metalmania TalkEmount Regular

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    I got one too. Simply great for my needs. I only use it for outdoor, with left hand holding it (or with a monopod) and right hand taking photos. For studio setup, I'd rather go with manual setups using Yongnuo flashes and triggers.

4. dmward

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    The Nissan NAS system is a welcome option for the Sony cameras. I found that using TTL in 2, 3 or 4 light setups for headshots works well on location because its easy to change ratios and power without having to go to the lights.
    I know that its possible to do that with manual strobes. I have Cheetah Lights with remote power control which I've been using since I sold off my Canon kit.

This Nissin kit looks promising. The no on camera flash is an inconvenience that I can work around in a fashion similar to what I've done with the Cheetah Lights. Basically, the same as your solution; holding the fill light in left hand while shooting with right hand.

• Informative Informative x 1