1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Nissin Di700 for sony with air Commander

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by unlo, Oct 1, 2016.

1. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    I have the Phottix Mitros. Non Plus version. I have a wedding coming up. And I'm quite positive having OCF with more than one flash will be a must. The phottix requires I purchase the Odin and probably another Mitros + unit. The kicker is they don't sell a receiver for sony's iso shoe. I thought that was lame. I let the guy @ the camera store talk me into a cheaper alternative. The Nissin Di700, all they had in stock was the receiver. But I ordered the Di700 + Air Commander kit while I was there. He explained the air Commander would be capable of controlling my phottix Mitros even in TTL. Still waiting for them to call and tell me it's in.

Since then I've read some reviews, and they are wildly mixed. Some love. Some hate.

Has anyone had any experience with this flash? Did you find the build quality acceptable? I've not had a single problem with my Phottix gear. And the construction seems very robust (to me). Am I better off spending the Xtra and having to deal with an adapter on the receiver for phottix? I've learned the hard way before that you get what you pay for when it comes to camera equipment. And if spending an extra hundred bucks means my equipment won't break after a few uses. That's fine by me. But if I hear the Nissin is a capable unit I'm willing to give it a go. (I baby all my equipment)

2. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
  3. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Ditch the mix and go all Godox ;)
    Well partly kidding and partly serious. From where I stand it looks like mixing systems and getting it to work properly is a nightmare. It might work, I don't know but Id put my egs in one basket instead of a handfull of paper grocery bags before taking them out for a long walk in the rain.

Oh I know, Im not dmward :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    1) Actually lighting I believe is truly one area that it isnt particularly true that 'you get what you pay for'. Sony flash is the most expensive and least functional. I personally believe is that Godox - which is also the cheapest - is also the best (although I have never tried Phottix which do get very good reviews).

2) My experience with Nissin has not been good. On the Di700, the locking mechanism to hotshoe is such that it wobbles in the hotshoe. I found the radio communication between the Nissin Air and the Di700 very flakey. Others too. Some speculation about needing to put new batteries into the commander each session. With the Nissin i40 I found that when in HSS it would continually go back to non-HSS after a shot - never puzzled that one out. Probably simple firmware issues that might now have been resolved although none of the Nissin products have usb for firmware updates (unlike Godox).

3) The lack of receiver's for Phottix is not a Phottix problem it is a 'Sony' problem. Sony make the receiver shoe (and the MIS foot). They only just came out with their own receiver and other manufacturers have been waiting for the part. Nissin is the only manufacturer that has brought out a standalone receiver I believe and that was very recent.

Overall, I totally agree with the previous poster - sell your current set up and buy Godox. An X1T-S transmitter and either TT685s or v860iis. If you can afford the v860iis (US$180 ea) they would be best for weddings as they have the fastest recycle times of any GN60 speedlight available.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    @robbie36@robbie36 I'm glad to read your post. And thank you for the details on your experience. After reading the reviews I think my ultimate goal will be just canceling this order altogether. Not sure how to go about it yet i'll have to call the camera store tmr. and see what they say, they've been good to me so far, so hoping it isn't too much trouble. Unfortunately I don't think they carry godox gear at all.

6. robbie36

Nov 21, 2014
    From what I have read (on Flashhavoc.com) the best place to get the Godox speedlights in the US is Adorama (where they are sold under the Flashpoint brand name as R2 - li-ion R2 is the V860ii and TTL R2 is the TT685). The difference between the 2 models is that the v860ii/li-ion R2 has a li-ion battery which gives more pops and faster recycle but is sold at US$180 v US$120. The advantage of Adorama is that they provide their own guarantee and support for the speedlights.

7. soeren

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Having the TT685S (x2) I can only agree with Robbie.
    From a full power pop it feels like ages before its recharged. Im having some black screen experiences on that account.

8. robbie36

Nov 21, 2014
    I have a TT685s too. It isnt actually that slow to recycle - it is the same as my yn560iii - but it is 3.5 seconds from 1/1 (full power). The V860ii basically recycles twice as fast (at 1/4 power you can shoot at low speed continuous). With the TT685s you can plug in an external lithium ion battery back like the PB960 and get recycle times at least as fast but who needs the hassle. I find it pretty staggering that no other manufacturers have come out with a lithium ion solution like the Godox v850 and v860.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. soeren

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    You are quite right. It just feels that way sometimes when getting exited and just wanting to fire away.
    Im aware of the external battery option, it was my main reason to go with the TT's in the first place. Again you are right it might be more hassle than a benefit.