Nikon to release FF Sony A7/7R competitor???

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by NickCyprus, Oct 25, 2013.

1. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Don't know how many of you have already seen this, but for those who haven't, it looks like the recent release of the FF Mirrorless Sony A7(r) made quite an impression not only to the public (good pre-order numbers from what I've been reading) but also to other camera makers.
    There are rumours that Nikon is going to announce a similar style camera (thus no video capabilities)...

http://petapixel.com/2013/10/21/rumor-nikon-announce-new-full-frame-rival-a7-next-3-weeks/

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/24/nikon-teases-full-frame-retro-camera/

2. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
  3. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Reliable spec's seem elusive as of yet. Sounds like it very likely will have the old-school optical prism & mirror but also an EVF (hence the "hybrid" description).

I like the general idea - I would love to come full circle to a digitized version of my old travel camera, the Nikon F3. (Compact by DSLR standards, simple and RUGGED.)

I doubt it will win me over from the Sony A7, unless pricing is lower and EVF quality is higher than I expect.

4. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    The concept is the same though - a big sensor stuffed inside a relatively small and easy to carry around body.
    I'm curious to see how much this will end up costing...

5. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
  6. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Costing USD 2.700 (body only) and being much bigger I wouldn't call it an A7 competitor, but rather a camera to complement Nikons own line-up. Will be interesting to see how this thing sells - the D4's 16MP sensor, 5,5 fps and no video are not exactly cutting edge right now. Hope they have some USP that makes it a worthy product, we don't need more useless ones on the market ...

7. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Isn't the A7R (body-only) $2300 or so and only 4 fps?

8. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yes, but the A7r is a 36 MP AA-filterless camera that's aimed at shooters that value resolution over speed. If anything, you can compare the Nikon to the A7 (which still got 50% more resolution than the Nikon - with the same fps speed) which makes it seem pretty damn expensive if it really doesn't have any great USP.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    There's a pretty unmistakable cosmetic homage to the film SLRs of the 1980s. That got my hopes up for a minute - my old Nikon FE is IMHO one of the absolute all-time best 35mm SLR designs - durable, compact simplicity at its finest.

Unfortunately for Nikon, I think the Sony A7 gets much closer to the true essence of that era than this new Nikon DF does. I agree with Poki, though - the two don't even really seem to be in direct competition.

So I guess it's not for me. Oh, well - some Nikon users seem pretty excited about getting the sensor from the D4. Hope it works out for them...

10. uhoh7

uhoh7 TalkEmount Regular

Nov 3, 2013
    I'm incredulous there is no video. Obviously not intended as a serious system camera.

The nex basically created the 'retro' market, which until then was just those still shooting film, and a handful of Leica people.

You can't deny this is Nikon's retro camera. Yet it is a camera which goes after this market in a negative fashion. No Video. F mount. Big and heavy.

Though it's def tummy over the beltline, I do find it handsome--but I could care less how my cameras look.

I care what they can do and where they can go. The DF does less and travels worse and is very dependent on a small slice of the market.

The Sony is a swiss army knife.

all that said, more power to anyone who would like one--I know it will take fantastic shots. :)

11. uhoh7

uhoh7 TalkEmount Regular

Nov 3, 2013
    yikes non-removable focus screen?
    bit.ly/1b7WCp2

12. On to the NEX

On to the NEX TalkEmount Regular

May 14, 2013
    Look at the size difference...

3-way.

DF - 143.5 × 110 × 66.5mm
    D610 - 141 × 113 × 82mm

Not a competition with the A7 in terms of size at all...
    Seems more like an alternative for the hipsters to shoot digital instead of film.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    Just for fun, from top to bottom:
    - big body, big lens
    - small body, big lens
    - medium body, small lens

:)